Windows XP/Service Pack?/.NET Framework?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows XP/Service Pack?/.NET Framework?

Postby Mosca » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:13 pm

For the longest time, I've worked with Windows XP Service Pack 2 with no memorable problems. 32 bit processor.

However, about 6 months(?) ago, I updated to Service Pack 3. My memory fails me but it appears that during that update, I also upgraded the.NET Framework.

In recent days (this week), I upgraded the .NET Framework while pursuing a remedy to other software problems. If memory serves, it appeared that I had updated to Service Pack 3 and .NET Framework 4 (+?). Now there are stability problems with some of my previously stable other software (KM Player and Little Registry Cleaner, for example)

I am clearly now confused concerning the desirable Update for Windows XP (32 bit).

It seem that after Service Pack 2, much of the Service Packs, Security Updates, and .NET Framework versions are for a 64 bit processor.

At this time, I may have an incompatible soup of Service Packs, Security Updates, and .NET Framework versions. This morning a dialog box pop-up prompted me to reinstall a more stable version of .NET Framework 4--which was not possible. So I uninstalled .NET Framework 4 with very confusion results.

So, my question is:

What are the desirable Updates, Service Packs, and .NET Framework versions for a 32bit Windows XP (stable) operating system?

All observations, comments, and opinions are appreciated. :)

P.S. Yes, I do intend to upgrade to Windows 7 soon. But I am on a fixed income (Social Security Retirement); and need to work that eventual choice into a very tight budget.
Asus P5B Deluxe /WiFi-Ap
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13G
XFX Radeon HD 6750 Core Edition PCIe 2.1
(3) WD Caviar SE16 SATA300 300Gig
(2) 1 gb DDR2 Corsair XMS 2 (Pro Series)
Antec Case SLK3700-BQE w/Antec TP3-650 watt
Zalman Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler CNPS9500AT

Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
.NET Framework 4.0
Mosca
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Mr T » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:36 am

What are the desirable Updates, Service Packs, and .NET Framework versions for a 32bit Windows XP (stable) operating system?
All of them, its as simple as that... After SP3, there are between 108 and 127 updates depending on the system configuration. Bear in mind you have to update programs and drivers too. XP is a 32 bit OS, the 64bit version was sonn forgotten about, so you will find most of the updates are for a 32bit operating system. Some are called 'cross platform' so work with a range of 64bit and 32 bit versions of all windows. but the advice is always have your operating system, drivers and programs as up to date as possible.

On a side note, windows 7 is becoming more difficult to get hold of now, especially a 32bit version. If your CPU is 32bit, you can only use a 32 bit operating system.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:24 am

SP3
.net 3.5 SP1 (which includes 3.0 SP2 2.0 SP2)
.net 4.0 SP1

and a sh*tload of patches...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mosca » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:08 am

Thank you both, very much.

Just as an aside, my CPU is an older Intel Core 2 Duo E 6400. The CPU-Z ID readout identifies three caches--all with a descriptor "8 way set associative, 64-byte line size". So it appears that I may have assumed incorrectly that I am limited by my hardware to a 32 byte system. However, if my old-man memory serves, this was an earlier CPU version of the 64 byte. So it might not perform up to more current 64-byte expectations. So purchase of the Windows 7 OS may not be limited to 32-byte. But that will be a later choice, after money allows.

But I am still limited to Windows XP at the present moment. So I'm asking:

Now that I have uninstalled .NET Framework 4, and now that I have a confusing soup of Service Packs, is there a .NET Framework that I need to uninstall back to in order to properly reinstall all of the needed Service Packs and .NET Framework versions? Is there a rational and advisable approach at this point?

Your responses are very much appreciated. :)
Asus P5B Deluxe /WiFi-Ap

.NET Framework 4.0
Mosca
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 am

This morning a dialog box pop-up prompted me to reinstall a more stable version of .NET Framework 4--which was not possible.

That is not a good omen! Likely was a "bait" from some third-party software offering. Only trust updates to the OS from the MS update Website!

The NET framework program has had several security issues.. and most of the 'patches' were issued to make it more secure.
When a program version is updated several times, the original may be a bit corrupt in its language and action. It may be required to totally uninstall the entire program and start with only the latest version. Here is a link which may be helpful concerning an uninstall.. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=23007
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mosca » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:13 am

Thank you, Karlsweldt.

I've used your link to go to the "Mocrosoft Download Page(s), which is the location(s) I've been using.

I downloaded and installed the "Uninstaller." But I received a pop-up from the Microsoft .NET Framework 3 Uninstall software; "We did not find specified products to be installed." Note that the pop-up verbage was "installed", not "uninstalled".

Now I am more confused. :?
Asus P5B Deluxe /WiFi-Ap

.NET Framework 4.0
Mosca
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:21 am

Uninstalling some programs requires more than just one approach with the OS process. The program folder itself may have to be opened, and a specific uninstall command enacted. Typically named as "unwise.exe" or similar. The Master Registry needs the key links taken out, as well as any start menu links and association links to other programs.
May be best to download the latest full version of NET framework, and see if it takes to the system. No finding the replacement software may be the reason for the error message.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems