Fracking

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Fracking

Postby c327 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:40 am

As the latest new technology of fracking gets more popular I wonder if doing this will contaminate the environment to the point of where we have created a full scale disaster and one where we may not be able to correct it in our lifetime?

I have read recently where we are helping China (cough) in this new technology of extracting gas form the deep ground.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Mon May 20, 2013 4:12 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shale_gas

Injecting toxic chemicals into the earth. Need I say more?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon May 20, 2013 5:25 am

Companies that provide fuel services (gas, oil) tout the "fracking" process as being a path to energy independence for us, from foreign sources. Indeed, toxic chemicals are forced into driven wells under high pressure.. and cause fracturing of the rock structure, releasing oil and gas for recovery. But aquifers also lie deep nearby those deposits.. and can become contaminated by those toxic chemicals.
We don't need another "Love Canal" incident! The companies can purchase "rights" to minerals and other sources beneath land you own, and not be obligated to compensate you.. if they drill off-premises. But if they do drill on your premises, they offer a payment for your land use.. and possibly a percentage of your "mineral rights" retrieved. But it is a pittance, compared to the damage that would be done permanently to your property!
One should read about the "Split Estate" regulation and be concerned!
Yes, some towns and land owners do receive some decent payments, but that is just "come-on" bait for getting others to become victims.
"Eminent Domain" is a nasty phrase.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cw4cam » Wed May 22, 2013 7:32 am

In my area, all "fracking" is done by liquid nitrogen. Removed from the atmosphere, returned to the atmosphere. 8)
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby bdub » Thu May 23, 2013 9:50 am

cracking up rocks underground with harsh toxants... sure, sounds fine to me!
i would not be suprised if this was the reason for the earthquake my area of the world experienced a couple years ago... you know, the one that cracked the washington monument?

oh, and we are already in the midst of a full scale environmental catastrophe... it's just moving too slowly to put anybody in emergency mode.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri May 24, 2013 9:39 am

There are dozens of "active" U.S. fracking operations presently.. but not in the immediate area of Washington, DC. Security reasons, perhaps. But possibly an operation many miles away could have precipitated a dormant fault line to become active.. who knows, who can prove same? New York State has a lot of shale deposits.. which presumably hold a lot of natural gas. The Governor is weighing a decision as to allow fracking operations. Most of the water for New York City comes from reservoirs upstate!
http://earthjustice.org/features/campai ... ted-states
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Fri May 24, 2013 11:05 am

they frack in WV, and that is not too far away from dc... also that earthquake was felt over a wide swath of the east cost, and the epicenter (mineral, VA) is only 80 miles from dc.
just seems to me if you break up what's under the ground in the right way, i'm sure you can get something to move. even if you don't want it to.

i guess it's kind of the same vein as "hey, man can't change the climate".
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to The Hundred Year War