Help Needed Please.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Help Needed Please.

Postby Happytrousers » Sun May 19, 2013 1:39 am

Hello,
I have just replaced the motherboard (Intel) on my HP Presario V6000 but the new board won’t boot to the hard drive (I have tried 4 known working drives). If I start the system & press Esc which shows the system spec screen the hard drive is listed. There is no mention of the drive in the bios but there doesn’t seem to be space for listing the drive anyway. This is what happens when I start the laptop:
The first page of the start-up screens stays on for around a minute then the screen goes black with a flashing cursor at the top & that’s as far as it goes. I have tried booting to a windows cd which it does but windows says it can’t install on this disk & to ensure the disks controller is enabled in the bios. In the bios the only disk option is to enable native sata support, which is enabled.
Could this issue be caused by a bad bios? If so can I re-flash to repair?
Thanks for reading & I look forward to any answers that might enlighten a medalling old codger that’s on a very steep learning curve.
Last edited by Happytrousers on Sun May 19, 2013 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happytrousers
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Sun May 19, 2013 2:13 am

Welcome to the motherboards.org...

What operating system was preinstalled on the laptop?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Happytrousers » Sun May 19, 2013 2:22 am

Thanks for your reply. The board is second hand from an unknown origin & the drives that I have tried are formatted & empty.
Happytrousers
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun May 19, 2013 3:05 am

Unknown origin and unknown condition.

But firtst things first: did you make 100% sure you reconnected all the cables in the exact right position? Laptops are a PITA to reconnect sometimes...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun May 19, 2013 5:10 am

Ok, what Operating system is /was preinstalled on the laptop (look at the windows sticker underneath the case) and what operating system have you tried installing?
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Happytrousers » Sun May 19, 2013 5:38 am

May be I should have explained that the old original board was AMD & this board is Intel. The only physical difference is a small socket to the right of the keyboard socket which I presume is for a built in webcam that I don't have & have left unplugged. I have just checked all connections & they are ok.

[/img]
Happytrousers
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Sun May 19, 2013 6:29 am

Happytrousers wrote:May be I should have explained that the old original board was AMD & this board is Intel. The only physical difference is a small socket to the right of the keyboard socket which I presume is for a built in webcam that I don't have & have left unplugged. I have just checked all connections & they are ok.

[/img]
That is usually for the mouse. The webcam socket is found usually next to the screen connector socket. Again what operating systems have you tried to install and what is on the base of the laptop - this has a bearing of whether or not you can install to it, ie if your laptop has a windows 7 licence on it, the hardware is geared towards windows 7 and trying to install windows XP may not work at all. One way to test this is go to Ubuntu.com and download the free opertaing system, burn it to DVD or put it on a usb stick and run it 'live' as such. From there you can see issues with the motherboard. In the BIOS you should have the option of changing the SATA MODE to IDE MODE which may allow you to install the operating system...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Happytrousers » Sun May 19, 2013 6:44 am

WHOOO! Solved

Thanks for the heads up Mr T, I disabled Sata native support & viola all working properly. Again thanks for your help Mr T & Evasive.

:D
Happytrousers
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun May 19, 2013 8:42 am

The pinout for laptop drives (2.5") and standard drives is a bit different. The 'standard' data connector is 40-pin, where on the laptop drive it is 44-pin. The extra pins are intended for the ID status of drives, if set as paired or stand-alone. Setting jumper pins are placed elsewhere, on 3.5" drives.
SATA data connections are standard among all.
If any type of hard drive has been partitioned in one computer, it may not be recognized on another by the BIOS. Best to start with a non-partitioned drive.
If a drive has been partitioned, formatted, and an OS installed on one computer, then the OS might detect extreme differences of chipsets and features of another, and self-destruct!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Happytrousers » Sun May 19, 2013 8:54 am

Thanks for the info Karlsweldt
Happytrousers
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to BIOS