BIOS screen after power loss, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BIOS screen after power loss, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx

Postby Areiks » Thu May 09, 2013 11:30 am

Hello,

I have serious problem with ASUS Sabertooth 990fx. After power loss the motherboard goes automatically to BIOS screen. How to turn this function off? For me it makes this motherboard useless cause I want to use it to build a server with os starting from flashdrive. 

After reboot everything is ok, just when i turn the power off and wait a while the BIOS screen is shown on next power on. 

There are no errors, date is correct, mobo boots correct. I think it is somekind of BIOS function.

I appraciate all help, thanks. 
Areiks
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu May 09, 2013 4:01 pm

I am not sure of a function that does that, but then I don't have that board. You could always try "Reset to Factory Defaults" or pulling the BIOS battery and see if that gets it.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Thu May 09, 2013 11:49 pm

Does it do it without a keyboard attached?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Areiks » Fri May 10, 2013 1:01 am

@Hardware Junkie

These are almost factory settings, didin't mess a lot with settings, just turned on "power on ac back" function.

@Mr T
Didin't test it, i dont have access to this hardware, only at weekends. I will try it, do you think it will change sth? Strange for me, but its first time for me i have efi bios.
Areiks
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri May 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Should be no reason for a BIOS page to appear on start-up, unless called for. Possibly there is a configuration error, and the BIOS is asking for a correction.
Ensure that each BIOS page is set according to how the system is configured. If no floppy drive, ensure that feature is disabled. Same when using an add-in video or sound card, duplicating on-board features. Disable the on-board features to ensure no conflict of device assignment. Another feature, fan monitoring, needs to have an "ignore" setting if no fan is on that power port.
When using a USB keyboard and/or mouse, the 'legacy' USB feature needs to be enabled. Otherwise, the keyboard and/or mouse would not be detected until after the OS is active.
Set the desired boot path with no more than three devices.. the hard drive as first, the optical drive as second.. and 'removable' devices (flash memory, USB drive) as third. As to a power control, best to set that for "stay off" if AC power is lost.. unless this is an unattended system.
When done with BIOS settings, ensure you close by first accepting "yes" for saving settings. Some BIOS versions require an "F10" key press to save the settings before exiting. Should be a notation on the screen.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Areiks » Fri May 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Its not normal BIOS, its an EFI BIOS. It looks different and has way more features. There is no error shown.

I think it could be somekind of feature designed for overclockers :~ Will check it at sunday but for now I didin't found the simple answer to this.
Areiks
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sat May 11, 2013 12:34 am

Asus has the nasty habit of setting all the speeds to factory defaults if your system was shut down "improperly" i.e. using the power down button. I'm not sure if you can set the EFI to ignore this.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Areiks » Sat May 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Yeah you can be right, maybe it forgets booting sequence or something and boots EFI first after shutdown. Is there way to save settings permanently?

Dont care about bios clocks, as long as its able to boot os I have everything clocked and set under Linux.

It happens only after total power shutdown.
Areiks
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun May 12, 2013 6:38 am

All types of computers have a small battery, referred to as the BIOS or CMOS battery. This retains BIOS settings in the CMOS (Complimentary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) memory chip. If the battery is low on voltage or dead, those settings will be reset to default when power input is lost to the system.
The battery is only a backup for when no AC mains or other power source feeds the circuitry. The average life of that battery is 3 to 4 years, depending on use.
The typical battery is referred to as a "coin cell", commonly the CR2032 model. Other types are used, perhaps smaller in size, as in laptops or 'smart' phones.
Check the owner's manual for the location and type of battery. Get a new one, and replace the old battery. Then go through all the BIOS pages to ensure the settings concur with how the system is built.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Areiks » Sun May 12, 2013 7:54 am

I know about it, the board is brand new. Already checked the battery its not the problem. Its somekind of feature in this EFI Bios. Its booting straight to BIOS after AC power off.
Areiks
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to BIOS