Selective Start-Up & PC Security

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Selective Start-Up & PC Security

Postby c327 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:04 am

This pertains to an XP Pro SP3 PC.

I run a selective start-up and was wondering if doing that has increased my PC's vulnerability or chances in getting a nasty of some kind?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:06 am

That depends on what you selected to stay off. Any unused services off = good, something essential for your anti-virus software or firewall off = bad. So cannot tell without knowing what you exactly shutdown.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:34 am

evasive wrote:That depends on what you selected to stay off. Any unused services off = good, something essential for your anti-virus software or firewall off = bad. So cannot tell without knowing what you exactly shutdown.

This pretty much answers my concerns.........I think

Unchecking a listed item in the Start Up Configuration Utility that has to do with a anti nasty utility/program can or wll affect the that utility/program ??????
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:04 am

The most vulnerable moment for any computer is when starting up. Not until the anti-virus and firewall programs are fully active, should any Internet or Intranet connection be established! Unfortunately, many programs want to check for updates at the first chance when a system is activated.
The "down and dirty" method of basic security: Don't have an Internet or Intranet connection powered until the OS has fully engaged all programming. A router or hub should be on a separate switched power source. Turn that on only after the OS has 'settled in'.
And almost all programming wants to be at hand, ready for use.. even if not required. The count of active icons in the SysTray box should not be more than six, plus the speaker and clock icons. More than that, and the OS is top-heavy with useless background activity. Check the Task Manager for active processes.. should be around 45 or so, for a "clean" operation setup.
As to having more than one firewall program active, that can cause conflicts and slowing of performance. Same with two anti-virus programs. Ancillary programs for specific needs are always good, for added protection.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security