BIOS acting strange

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BIOS acting strange

Postby dylk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Mobo: asus p7p55d-e

Hello all,

Recently my psu died, and after replacing it my computer functioned OK. However if I attempt to enter BIOS, the screen is littered with random characters amongst some of the usual screen.

I figured it meant it was corrupted in some way but for some reason my computer still posts/runs fine. I have cleared CMOS, hard reset, flashed a newer BIOS using asus update. when I try to enter bios It sits at a screen flashing with characters in a somewhat loop, and if I press a key it boots me out, says 'CHECKING NVRAM' then boots into windows.

Please see the images as I cannot really explain the situation.
http:// sdrv.ms/YPIAlo
http:// sdrv.ms/13IsbH0

What stumps me as 1). why does the computer still boot 2). why does reflashing not affect it

So im asking your wonderful community for advise on how to / if I can correct this situation, as all values are at default and RAM etc is running at 600MHZ when it should be at 1600MHZ, which I would like to correct. Also is it time for a new mobo :o

cheers guys

p.s. the motherboard generally slightly overclocked the RAM and CPU automatically.
dylk
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby bdub » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:32 pm

have you tried reseating videocard and ram? also if you have another videocard to try, that would be a good test... and maybe dropping to less sticks or different sticks of ram, for a test, to see if you can get into the bios.
are you seeing no artifacts in the display at all when running the OS?

it would be interesting to see what it would do with a pre-OS based program routine like memtest.
http://www.memtest.org/

where are you seeing this ram speed being shown as 600mhz? that could be the result of speedstep varying the clock as a power saver feature.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby dylk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:26 pm

thanks bdub for your reply,

I happened to stumble upon the issue, which was one of my secondary HDD was for some reason causing this, and once disconnected BIOS runs fine. Assuming it had something to do with old boot partition into windows 8 release preview. quick format should do it hopefully.

once again, cheers for the reply! :D
dylk
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:12 am

If disconnecting a power drain improves overall system stability, it is power supply replacement time.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:39 am

The capacitors on the motherboard (and video card!) should be examined for domed tops, excess leaning or signs of leakage. If noted, they are bad. The same malady affects the PSU also. More info at www.badcaps.net/ .
For replacement of capacitors on a motherboard or other device card, use the same values as the original. The temperature rating should be 105° C. and have a "low ESR" rating. If caught early, there may be no permanent damage. But with a PSU, regulation may not be the same.
For capacitor replacement, use a soldering iron or gun rated at 100 watts or better. The idea is to "get in and get out" with the heat, so as to not damage nearby components.
For a list of bad capacitor types, check this reference here on the Forum.. http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... p?t=101830
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Your new power supply could be the problem if its weak.
But generally here are your likely suspects:
-Video Card or onboard video chip, or some electronic component associated with it.
-Memory
-Motherboard

It sounds like you are having difficulty flashing the BIOS, so that would be my first suspect.
I wouldn't overclock the system while you are checking it either, get the thing back to defaults and see if it fixes the problem.

There is a post here with similar issues, and screenshots. New video card fixed the problem:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1460252
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS