The Mother Board
Upgrade to SLI 660ti - advice needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrronald199
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Upgrade to SLI 660ti - advice needed Reply with quote

CPU = i7 920 (D0)
MOTHERBOARD = ASUS P6T
RAM = Upgrading to 3x4gb 1600MHz
HEATSINK = Skythe Mugen 2
OS = W7 64
POWER SUPPLY = Corsair 750W
VIDEO CARD = 6950 Modded to 6970, upgrading to SLI 660ti
SOUND CARD = SoundBlaster x-fi platinum
CASE = CM690
OEM SYSTEM = -

Hello! I've been orienting myself towards upgrading my system to an SLI configuration. I plan on using EVGA 660ti SC edition (2GB). I have a few uncertainties though, and I hope you guys can help me clarify this;

- First of all, the mobo I use has 3x PCIe 16x slots, from which 1 is a 4x slot. Is it true that only the blue ones support 16x? If so, here's my next question

- If only the blue slots support 16x, this means my cards will go in 'back to back'. I'm worried about airflow and temperatures, since the fan from the top card will not be able to suck in a lot of air. Is it better to use a different card from the EVGA, ie. one that has a more open design?

- Last but not least, the 920 is quite an old CPU. Will this bottleneck my system. I am able to OC it to about 3.4 - 3.6 Ghz. Will this be enough to keep up with the 2 cards?

Thanks in advance,

Ronald
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the motherboards.org....

First off, the i7 -920 may be an old CPU, but it is still a very viable one... I run a Q6600 with 4Gbs of DDR2 to rip and reauthor DVD/Blu ray using Handbrake and it does the job very quickly... For gaming, the CPU is not a bottle neck...

Second off, Sli'ing two cards in close proximity is OK, they are well cooled with heatsinks and fans and won't overheat. If they do get a bit toasty for your liking, get a fan bracket and fan, stick it over the top of the two cards blowing down...

Also, keep both cards the same, buy them as a pair if you can. Sli'id cards tend to work better as a matched pair.

The only true bottleneck on your set up is the dated motherboard, but it is still up there as a good one...
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
rrronald199
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! Ordered a pair today (MSI Power Editions), will see if it needs some extra fans...
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let us know how those MSI boards work for you.
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
seagate 500GB 32M cache
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
rrronald199
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cards are in! They are some really nice looking cards lachen As expected the card on top gets hotter then the one under it. When they are both on full load the top 1 reaches about 73 degrees, the other one stays below 60.

The temperatures are reasonable, but the noise the card produces is kind of insane... I had to change the fan profile a bit for the top card so it would cool more (obviously). But the fan make a hell of a lot of noise. I'm considering upgrading my mobo so that there will be 2 slots space in between.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73 Degs C is ok for a card... Its when it reaches 100 Degs C you start worrying... Download and run Furmark... It will stress test the cards out, leave it running for an hour and the temps will amaze you what they top out at and the card still runs fine.. Have used it many times when testing odd graphics card issues out...
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
rrronald199
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright , I ran furmark for 15 mins. Temp of top card: max 89 deg, other card: max 71 deg.

I'm considering either changing mobo or returning 1 of the cards. Since the noise is quite unbearable (vacuum cleaner). Another option is to underclock the top card a bit, and overclock the bottom. But I'm not quite sure how much of a difference +- 10% in clocks will do to the temps.

Edit: It seems better now, played with fan profiles a bit. When I'm gaming it doesn't make the fans go annoyingly loud anyways. Crysis 3 really get's these cards and my cpu to their knees. It's the only game that shows my CPU is bottlenecking. Even though I overclocked it to 4GHz, it still reaches 100% load. All in all I'm quite satisfied with the cards though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: