WinXP dead install or dead HDD?

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby evasive » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:28 pm

:lol: awww the agony the agony the agony!!!! ...of seeing something so familiar. Don't worry. Most if not all the regulars in here have been doing something like that. Otherwise they would be lying their teeth out.

Now then, I hope you can get things back into order, test the bad drive in a seperate system (or in this one booting from a diagnostics CD with all other drives disconnected). Have fun. 8)
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:25 am

Don´t worry it happen to most of US.

on any way the issue u had with the XP CD was that there were some interrupted XP installation at the point it starts to a graphic interface and starts to install the drivers, in those cases the installation program recognizes the previous attemp and try to continue from the point it was left before. so u don´t get the new install screens.
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:57 am

With SATA storage drives, there should be a separate BIOS sub-page concerning the order of access for boot. The primary SATA port (Port "0") is default for an OS boot. If the boot record is not found, then a search for other boot paths to an OS is effected.
When installing an OS, all the install files are first copied to memory.. then a search for the drive to put them on.
After all that pre-installation wait, then the process may not find a suitable storage medium! Image
Always a sound idea to isolate problems when trouble-shooting. Divide the conflict in half, and then the troubled half again. Saves countless hours and less loss of hair!
With multiple storage drives, work with just the primary one until assured the cause is rooted out.
Yes, been there.. done that. Welcome to the "Club of Experience"!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby OldPhatDad » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:With SATA storage drives, there should be a separate BIOS sub-page concerning the order of access for boot. The primary SATA port (Port "0") is default for an OS boot. If the boot record is not found, then a search for other boot paths to an OS is effected.
When installing an OS, all the install files are first copied to memory.. then a search for the drive to put them on.
After all that pre-installation wait, then the process may not find a suitable storage medium! Image
Always a sound idea to isolate problems when trouble-shooting. Divide the conflict in half, and then the troubled half again. Saves countless hours and less loss of hair!

:lol: - too late for that, Karl. My hair packed its bags and headed south years ago!

Karlsweldt wrote:With multiple storage drives, work with just the primary one until assured the cause is rooted out.
Yes, been there.. done that. Welcome to the "Club of Experience"!

Oh, and just a further update: the drive I thought was bad, wasn't. It was the one I was confident was fine. Go figure.

Again though, thanks to all you guys for the help and suggestions. :)
Antec Nine Hundred
Intel C2D E6750 @ 3.6 Ghz
Gigabyte P35 DS3L
Mushkin Redlines 2 x2GB kit
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 896 MB
WD 250 GB SATA2
Seagate 160 GB SATA
WD 500 GB SATA2
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
PC P&C Silencer 750W
Windows XP SP3
OldPhatDad
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:07 am

You know it sounds like one of those old drives may have been used as a boot drive at one time or another. If installed in the wrong order, it could have tried to boot off the other one instead. You would have received a STOP error because of the complete hardware change,.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Tech Support