Can't find memory latency settings?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Frozti » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:14 pm

bdub wrote:
bdub wrote:and a utility called "fox one" which looks like it might be waht you are looking for...
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDe ... -us0000483

try the tech support tab, at the bottom.

also, a majority of the time, the disk you get with the motherboard sucks because it usually has outdated drivers, in which case the maunufacturers website provides newer drivers. also new bios may not suck as much as an old bios.

the "fox one" program may or may not give you the latency controls you want, but it is designed for that mobo, and it'll give you general control in windows of fsb and possibly multiplier and voltage, which will do you more good than little tweakings on the timings on an old, not-so-hot, non-performance-having mobo... like the one you are trying to tweak.

ok thank you i will try it out :)
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Frozti » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:38 pm

My dad changed them with something in windows but im still having occasional problems (heres your chance to say i told you so) but i cant find any other way to change it. i have the newest bios and i dont see an option for changing the timings... i made a video of my bios, maybe this will help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPlDal0l ... Gg&index=1
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 am

On the motherboard, pull the watch battery for about a minute and put it back in. This should reset the bios to stable defaults. You might have to set the time and stuff like that though.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Frozti » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:34 am

Hardware Junkie wrote:On the motherboard, pull the watch battery for about a minute and put it back in. This should reset the bios to stable defaults. You might have to set the time and stuff like that though.

u mean the cmos battery? what will that do? wont it just set the timings to default for the motherboard and not the memory?
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 am

It will reset the timings for the memory on the motherboard. The timing of the sticks will always stay the same, there's nothing programmable for that on the sticks themself. What is in there is a recommended set of timings, nothing else.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:59 am

Memory modules have an ID string embedded in them.. for the SPD, or Serial Presence Detect feature of the BIOS that will automatically set memory speed and timings. If changes are done to timings (CAS, RAS, Latency) then the memory may fault on paging. Some classes of memory can be "enhanced" in their activity.. but others are bound to their limits. Using 'extreme' or 'gamer' memory types may allow increases for speed.. but "value" grade memory types have little or no headroom for higher speeds. Memory timings are very interactive with each other. Change one factor, and another may need changing to maintain stability.
Think back to years ago, where airplanes had machine guns mounted behind propellers.. timing had to be EXACT or you shot yourself down!!

As to resetting the BIOS pages to default, you may have to take the power cord out of the PSU, attempt a few starts to drain reserves, then use the provided jumper to reset the BIOS.. or take out the battery for up to 10 minutes. Then you must reset all features as to how the system is physically related.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Frozti » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Memory modules have an ID string embedded in them.. for the SPD, or Serial Presence Detect feature of the BIOS that will automatically set memory speed and timings. If changes are done to timings (CAS, RAS, Latency) then the memory may fault on paging. Some classes of memory can be "enhanced" in their activity.. but others are bound to their limits. Using 'extreme' or 'gamer' memory types may allow increases for speed.. but "value" grade memory types have little or no headroom for higher speeds. Memory timings are very interactive with each other. Change one factor, and another may need changing to maintain stability.
Think back to years ago, where airplanes had machine guns mounted behind propellers.. timing had to be EXACT or you shot yourself down!!

As to resetting the BIOS pages to default, you may have to take the power cord out of the PSU, attempt a few starts to drain reserves, then use the provided jumper to reset the BIOS.. or take out the battery for up to 10 minutes. Then you must reset all features as to how the system is physically related.

i took the battery out and put it back in, it gave me 2 choices. use default bios settings or run setup. i chose default, it didnt fix anything. should i do it again and choose the setup feature? will it have options for memory timings? because if its not there than it isnt any where...
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:37 am

"Default" BIOS settings assure that you should have a working setup. For the best performance, you have to go through each page of the BIOS to ensure that the controls and physical elements are compatible. Normally, a BIOS program will have extra features that do not relate to all setups.. and should be disabled. This is true when a video card is used instead of on-board video, or a sound card instead of the on-board audio. Ensure that any associated features for a device are similarly disabled, if an add-in card is used, or the feature is not in use itself. A modem setting would be useless, unless the device is active. Same with MIDI or game ports. Thermal limits for the CPU health should also be set per the physical relation of the system. Same with some system fans.. if not in place, then an "ignore" setting should be used. Only if on-board video is used, then a video aperture is required. Not so with an add-in video card! Set dedicated video to no more than 20% of total system memory. With a video card, set the aperture to minimum. For memory settings, use the SPD factor for best results. Setting latency timing beyond what is recommended may cause the paging to miss a step, or "tick" on the timing rhythm.. and you have paging errors or a BSOD.
Note the first screens before the bootstrap process.. if latency is off, an error message should be displayed. But likely not, if a 'package' system!
CPU-Z would give an ID of the memory modules, from the "SPD" tab. Compare that ID tag to what is recommended by the motherboard vendor QVL listing to ensure they are compatible. After a motherboard model is released, newer memory types may be compatible. The "Memory Advisor" at www.crucial.com/ will suggest the best choices for a system. Enter the key factors for a proper match of memory to system. You don't have to purchase memory from them, but the results can guide you to proper memory modules.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Frozti » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:34 am

All I want to know is how to change the latency... I can't find an option for it in the bios. I keep getting "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" and browsers randomly crash. I think it has to do with the latency. I just want to know how to change it.
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:13 pm

the error can be due to a bad memory stick, check it
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt