Replacing CPU

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Replacing CPU

Postby MrBuzzard » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:13 pm

Hello, folks, and Happy New Year. Could you please help out with a question I have.
I wanted to replace a slower Socket A AMD with a faster one. The MB stats said no problem, so I went ahead. New heat sink paste, made sure the heat sink was clear of dust, and turned it on. First up was the
BIOS telling me that I had changed processors, and now must tell the BIOS what the new speed was. I set it to 2013 Mhz, as that was one of the choices and matched what AMD told me. The PC ran, but was extremely loud, and heated up quite a bit. After shutting it down, I tried to locate info to help me accomplish the change, and have come up empty.
Any suggestions? I do not know a lot about changing settings in BIOS.
I am running XP Pro on it, decent power supply, Crucial memory, and WD hard drive, if any of that means anything.
MrBuzzard
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:46 am

Welcome to the motherboards.org and happy New Year.

Can you list out your system specs (brand, speed etc), it makes a diagnosis easier and what is the old and new CPU's you are swapping about with?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Replacing CPU

Postby MrBuzzard » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks for the response, Mr T.
All my PC's are DIY. I had a SOYO KT400 go out on me, and I wanted to find a way to get the PC back as close to operational as I could, so I rumaged around and found two boards in my 20Year box. One was an ASUS A7V8X. The other was the SOYO KT333 Ultra. Both are Socket A boards, and I had four Socket A processors. AXDA 2400, 2600, 2800, and a 2000 which I believe is the same family. That is the one I was replacing.
As stated, when I installed the new processor, I got the BIOS popup telling me to select a CPU frequency. I had already cleared the BIOS before I started, so now I don't have any idea how to proceed, because I don't want to burn anything up.
I didn't get any beep codes when I fired the board up the first time.
MrBuzzard
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby bdub » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 pm

this handy-dandy chart...
http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... hp?t=31293
shows freqs your cpu's should be at... the question is if you have bartons or t-bred's or palemino's... look at the ending digits on the chips to find out.
the asus will run barton chips, not sure about the soyo.
most bios's will let you change the fsb either by major categorie (ie 100, 133, 166, 200), or adjust by number. then the multiplier should be just left on auto.
one of those bios pages has the adjustments in it.
good luck.
which board are you going with?
also, what make/model shows on the hs'fan you have? is there a copper core in it?
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Upgrade CPU

Postby MrBuzzard » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Neat chart. Thanks. Looks like the Tbred B for the CPU I want to use. I am going to try to resurrect the SOYO Dragon Ultra. The hs/cooler is the stock AMD.
Will try to post back later if this works.
MrBuzzard
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to General