What Information Should I post?

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Frozti » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:
Hmmm... I turned the computer on to start a dual boot install of xp and it said there was a cmos battery failure... I replaced it, but maybe thats why i got all the problems? Is it possible?

The BIOS/CMOS battery is only a backup for when no AC power activates the PSU.. whether it be normal operation or stand-by. A +5 volt lead is always powered from the PSU, except when the AC mains are disconnected.
This powers the USB ports, real-time clock and the BIOS/CMOS needs.
The typical life of a BIOS/CMOS battery is around 3 years, depending on use. Once the battery starts to die, the CMOS does not have sufficient voltage to retain system settings. Could be a cause. But remote.
I'd probably continue to use XP on the system myself.

The Windows XP OS version is tried and true, and very stable.. on almost any setup. I will continue to run Win XP on two of my systems until the "fat frog" croaks!! :lol: :lol:

Forget everything I said... I think it is my memory. I got windows 7 64 bit to accommodate my new RAM. I constantly got the BSOD when trying to go back to xp, so I put my old memory in and its lookin good so far. I don't udnerstand what the problem is though, if it wasn't compatible it would even turn on... When I get xp up and running I want the good ram to work so I didn't waste my money.

Old Memory: 3gb (1x2, 512x2) ddr3, 800mhz,
New Memory: 8gb (4x2) ddr3, capable of 1600mhz but autoset to 1333

On the case it says "Designed for Intel 6 series Platform" is that why?

Here is the link to the ram i bought: http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Memory-PG ... B0093CJVXI

That isnt the exact memory, i thought it was because the heat spreader is exactly the same... Mine is 1600mhz, PC-12800
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:58 pm

Is it XP 32bit or 64bit? A 32bit operating system won't see RAM over about 3.5Gb and even less depending on the video card and other PCI cards you are using due to 32bit limits on 'reserved memory address'... Patriot RAM is OK, but have had a few compatibility issues with certain motherboards, moved over to Corsair Value Select for lower end systems and XMS3 and better for higher end systems..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:00 pm

You would have to use a 64bit OS to see all 8GB of memory anyways.
XP does make a 64bit version, albeit a little crappy...

I'd return the new RAM and get some with the same BUS speed and manufacturer if possible.
Before boards are put into production, they are tested with a variety of memory to make sure they don't have problems. Yours probably never made it that far, so you'll want to stick with what works.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

whatever...

Postby Frozti » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:55 am

Oh well, I bought a cheap motherboard to hold me off until I have a job. I might mess around with this board later because I can't sell it. Thanks for your time, I'm sorry I was such a hassle. All this and I just ended up buying a new motherboard lol. I really appreciate your help.
Frozti
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:13 am

That motherboard you show in one photo has two banks of memory slots. Ensure that the SAME amount and type of memory is installed in BOTH banks. If unequal amounts, then the POST process will find errors in memory checking, and also the OS will have problems. The FSB clock must be right on frequency, to ensure that memory is paged as required. If the FSB base speed is only 10 Hz off, then the memory bus speed may be off by 20 Hz.. and 40 Hz off the final bus speed for the CPU. If the FSB base frequency is a bit higher, then instead of using 400 MHz memory type, go with 433 MHz memory type.. to ensure proper paging. Same if using 800 MHz type memory, go with the next higher speed rating. "Value" grade memory typically has little reserve range for higher bus speed. But "premium" grade memory would have no problem with lower bus speed. Memory speed should be 1/2 the final bus speed designated for the CPU.
Try the OS install with minimal memory, say 1 GB (half in each bank) and add more after the OS has settled in. As Mr T noted, a 32-bit OS cannot manage any greater memory amount over about 3.5 GB.. which has to encompass any other memory that is part of other devices or features.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: whatever...

Postby evasive » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:02 am

Frozti wrote:Oh well, I bought a cheap motherboard to hold me off until I have a job. I might mess around with this board later because I can't sell it. Thanks for your time, I'm sorry I was such a hassle. All this and I just ended up buying a new motherboard lol. I really appreciate your help.

That looks like a genuine Intel development board for the Bear Lake platform and I would really really appreciate it if you can make a detail picture of the barcoded stickers to see if we can retrieve any AA or PCA numbers for reference.
This page
http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/intel/index.html
has been around since 1997 or so and your info would be a nice addition
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum