Microsoft security essentials not running. HJT log pasted.

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby cw4cam » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:31 pm

The only security programs are free version of Malwarebytes and Microsoft security essentials. On the advice of others here on this site, I downloaded Superantispyware, up dated it and scanned. It found some things that Malwarebytes didn't find but was mostly tracking cookies. They all had a prefix of PUP. As I posted earlier, I was able to go in safe mode and turn on and scan with Microsoft security essentials and it did not find a single thing. After I posted the HJT file, someone here tells that superantispyware is malware it's self so I uninstalled it.
I plan on running more scans in safe mode tonight. I am actually puzzled by all this. I really appreciate all the help I get from this site. Most of the time I don't even have to post to solve problems, just read.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:32 am

Superantispyware itself is not malicious.. except to spyware. But where you do a download from is critical. Trust only certified sites, such as File Hippo or Softronic, the parent company.. or other trusted sites.. for whatever programs!
The prefiix "PUP" is for "Potentially Unwanted Program".. possibly malicious, but maybe not too bad. They sometimes come in with a desired program DL, or you may inadvertently click the pop-up and get it. Best to avoid any "PUP". Tracking cookies are really nasty. You never know who they come from, and your private information can be whisked out for the world to see!!
Always delete cookies and other Web data on close of a session. IE does not do so automatically.. you have to preset those features. Firefox does so automatically, as do other browsers.
For passwords and user names, keep an indiscreet text file somewhere in a non-interesting folder.. and give it a dull tag name. Access it from the main menu, or some other path.. like a folder of "features". Copy and paste those critical entries, then you don't have any keystrokes for counter cookies to draw info on. Never "remember" those passwords for financial accounts. The user name, too should not be "remembered" by the Web browser. For a bank account, credit card account, all too easy when you "leave the door open" with a user name and/or password in browser memory!!!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:45 am

Malwarebytes picks up most stuff and removes it.. Have you run the reg fixing tool with CCleaner?

Oh, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all... Keep on posting, I'll be here over the holidays!! :D
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby cw4cam » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:28 am

Mr. T, Yes, and ran Malwarebytes in safe mode. Microsoft security essentials and the security center are back running, nothing I did. I never did find anything that would be called an infection.
While I was working on this thing I did notice Microsoft's yellow shield on the task bar and when I put the cursor on it, it said downloading update. It didn't stay there but for a few seconds and no installation box came up. Some time later, I think the next day after starting the computer to resume my attempts to fix this thing, Msse was on the task bar. I don't know if the update fixed it or not.
In any case every thing seems to be normal. Thanks for the help.
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:34 am

Microsoft releases a "malicious software removal" update monthly.. set for automatic update use.. kb890830 Find more info about this valuable process here.. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cw4cam » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:08 am

The pro upgrade is £25 off the M$ website which ain't bad, the offer ends in January (whisper.. and you can do a clean install with the upgrade!!).

MrT, If I download this I want to burn it to a cd/dvd for later use. What type of disk do I make? ISO/data or what.
Winston Churchill

cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Mr T » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:09 am

It gives you the choice to create an iso, do that then use something like imageburn to burn it to DVD...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby cw4cam » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks!!
Winston Churchill

cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Previous

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security