The Mother Board
Microsoft security essentials not running
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mother Board Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Microsoft security essentials not running Reply with quote

I have MS security essentials set to run at 1 AM Sunday morning. Sunday when I was using my 'puter I noticed the little circus tent with the flag on top was not running. I went to start>programs and tried to open the program from there. The icon for security essentials appeared in red and immediately left the tool bar. I have tried to find blogs, etc, about this but didn't find any thing. I have windows xpPro on this computer. should I just uninstall the program and download a new copy? I ran a full scan in safe mode with malwarebytes and it found some tracking cookies it didn't like and I deleted those and it didn't help. Could I be infected with a virus? Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has glitched like this on me with XP. Download it again, delete the old one, reboot and reinstall.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do it. Thanks.

cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the program, uninstalled the old one, installed the new one and it couldn't be opened. went to safe mode with internet connection and I was able to open Ms security essentials. Downloaded all the up dates but it was not available in safe mode. Restarted, logged back on and I still couldn't open the program.
Went to control panel>services>ms antimalware---disabled. I pulled down the window and hi lighted automatic, hit apply, hit start and it started. tried to open the thing again and it wouldn't open. went back to control panel, back through same path and it was disabled again. Also the security center services was disabled. I enabled it and went to the security center. It showed no antivirus. went back to serviced and started ms anti malware, looked down at the service center and it was disabled.
Bottom line, security center can be started but not both of them. I'm stumped. PDT_Armataz_01_02 Went on line and used bit defender on line scan, found nothing. I don't expect this will be easy. Thanks folks.

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd download Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware and run them on your system just to make sure you haven't been infected with something designed to take out Microsoft Security Essentials.

Ripshod
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you properly uninstall and remove all other realtime antimalware before installing MSE?
Perform these checks:
Verify that you have removed all other real-time antimalware products that were ever installed on your PC, including free/trial product that were installed when the PC was purchased (Norton, McAfee, TM, AVG, OneCare, Malwarebytes (paid), etc).

From microsoft.

They go on to say uninstall any firewall and use windows firewall.
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have AVG but when Ms security essentials was available, I uninstalled avg and installed Msse. I have had malwarebytes on this computer for 3 years or more. It is the free version and I use it about every two weeks. The problem started after the Sunday scan.
In control panel>services, Performance logs & alerts was disabled. I found this by looking at Ms antimalware, in services, the properties>dependencies, and it has to have Remote Procedure Call. This was disabled. I set it to automatic and started the service. Also security center needed a couple of things which was also disabled, I started those services. every service I started has remained started except Msse and security center. Note in my previous post about scanning for scumware. I'm reluctant to do a system restore, because that causes my wife's incredimail to have problems. I reset internet explorer 8 to default per another web site but no luck. I have not discounted scumware at this point. I will keep pecking on.

Ripshod
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is strange that some of the services aren't running. As an example RPC and Security Center on mine are running constantly.
I've got to ask. Where did you get this system? And who can install stuff? Is UAC active?

Hardware Junkie wrote:
I'd download Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware and run them on your system just to make sure you haven't been infected with something designed to take out Microsoft Security Essentials.

In this situation that suggestion is a must!!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the security services default to inactive, then very possible a virus or Trojan has taken root. Use of Hijack This from http://www.hijackthis.com/hijackthis will reveal any program, and note its "critical" status as a normal or abnormal process. If unfamiliar with any entry lines, post a scan here on the Forum for other members to peruse, before taking action.
But removal of such infections may not be totally complete, unless in 'safe' mode, with the 'restore feature' disabled. If the 'restore feature' is not disabled, then Windows will faithfully undo all your efforts on the next normal restart!!
In 'safe' mode, most viral forms are inactive.. and easily taken out. In 'normal' operation, they may be in stealth mode.. and resistant to removal.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete yout cookise and run CrapCleaner and use the reg fix option in it, then try installing M$ SE... You have the right version? (ie XP one for XP)..
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mother Board Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: