I'm looking for a low power motherboard for a small cloud

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

I'm looking for a low power motherboard for a small cloud

Postby SeaBat_Br » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm trying to build a home file server or cloud, and I have no experience running a server of any type, I don't even know if I should use windows 7, 8 or windows server.

I was thinking about the intel atom as it's fanless and low power, but it's 32bit.

Then I looked at the cpu first and I was looking at the Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500. Don't know which motherboard.

I'm really open as long as overall it's low wattage per month and any advice would be really helpful.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116775
SeaBat_Br
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:26 am

What other limitations are there? What are you going to use this machine for? What is your total budget? Is low energy consumption the only important factor or does it need to be silent too?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:51 am

I'd check this site: http://www.mini-itx.com/
When I was looking at building custom linux routers with a little more power, I was pricing out complete systems for 200-250.
64bit procs are available too:
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=75
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby SeaBat_Br » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:49 pm

I'd like to stick with windows as I don't know linux, Ubuntu or any of them well. I'm wondering which version of windows 7, 8 or one of the windows servers I should go with.

As for the motherboard speeds not really a big thing. It's going to be on 24-7, hence the low power and I want it to take care of itself for the most part.

I'm liking that Intel core i3 cpu, other than that I'm pretty open.

The only things I want this to do is hold about 4 2 or 3 TB drives (maybe 6 & up in the way future), hold some Ghost back-ups and run iTunes for the music and Apple TV.

I have 2 Corsair 650 watt power supplies (1 year old) and a Lian Li mid tower case I was thinking of using since I decided not to go with the intel atom. I've also got a APC 1500 back-ups that didn't get used, I always use an ups on everything, we get a lot of power fluctuations out here.

This is going to be my first server(?) and it won't be used for anything else
SeaBat_Br
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Get a NAS server made by Synology, QNAP or Drobo.. It does it all for you, you just have to add the hard drives.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby SeaBat_Br » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Had 2 different ones. A NAS Drobo and that WD hard drive 2tb, didn't like either of them. This time I want to try a windows one, maybe someday a readyNAS one, just not now.
SeaBat_Br
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Recommendations