Wired and wireless at the same time.............

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Wired and wireless at the same time.............

Postby CivilDissent » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 am

It has been quite a while since I checked in here but here goes.

I know computers pretty well and have built them since the late 80's but networking is the death of me and always will be....so:

I have a Comcast Arris cable modem that I run to a CNet CWR-935 router.
I have used the router to run to computers, only about 10 feet away from each other, to the same internet connect with one computer being highly important and significant to run a VPN to my wifes job. It is critical that the computer with the VPN does not lose its link or she would probably lose her job. I use the other computer for my own uses.

We had some problems a few years ago but got a local tech to get things straight and everything has been fine since then.

But here goes, we just purchased a HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium for its ePrint capabilities. We have it wired to the CNet right now and everything is fine but we want to be able to have it ePrint from our iPhones so that when she gets sent on a business trip, she can send documents, photos, etc. to the printer and maybe even be able to do other fancy things that the printer will do.

So, after all of that mess..................is there a way to make the router Wired and Wireless at the same time so that we can use AirPrint or ePrint or some other such thing? Or can I run another router out of a second port on the Arris? Etc.?

I am so scared to mess with the system right now because my wife's job was on the line a few years ago when we had major problems just getting her work VPN working here at our house and now that it is working, I do not want to mess it up.
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Roach412 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:53 am

simplest method:

buy an unmanaged switch and just throw it on one of the router ports. plug crap into there.

it's slightly better than a hub, but basically just expands your network.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GTX 660ti
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:43 am

Me says bring in a seperate internet link into the house for everything but the VPN network so you can safely experiment with open connections for world+dog to the printer...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby CivilDissent » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Sorry Roach/evasive, I did not mean to make ya'll mad, I am just not a networker.

So, here is another try...my current router is a CNet and I cannot remember the username or password that I originally started with.
I would like to upgrade to an AC router even if that is overkill it will mean that I do not have to upgrade routers for a loooong time probably and therefore not have to change anything and have a stable system for a while.

So, here is the question: If I set a system restore point before trying to install a new AC router and I cannot get the new router to work, will system restore restore all my old network things also since routers are an external device?

I would rather upgrade.
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:46 am

This post is a little old but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in here.
It sounds like you have an internet connection connected to a router that has Wired and Wireless capabilities. The printer is wired in and you just print from the PCs right now.

Has the wireless functionality of your router been turned off? There is no reason it shouldn't be able to operate at the same time. That's sort of the whole point.
iPhones should be able to connect to the wifi at the same time.

The only thing I am not sure of is how you can print from your iphone. I've never heard of this functionality before. And I have an Android so I can't test.

CivilDissent wrote:So, here is another try...my current router is a CNet and I cannot remember the username or password that I originally started with.

Yeah that kind of sucks. Your basically looking at a factory reset and you'll have to set everything back up.
Your safest bet, since your wife cannot lose VPN connectivity for work purposes, is to buy a new wireless router to play with until you get it all setup correctly. That way you can have the old one plugged in while she works, and the new one to play with when she is done for the day.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking