Tablet Software

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Tablet Software

Postby c327 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:28 am

Have interest in a Tablet either mini or full sized. The ipad Mini gets good reviews but could be better when it comes to resolution and the quality of the display. Some say to wait a year until they get the mini ipad better?

So in looking at the full sized ipad along with a few of the other top brands I am wondering about added software and various apps. I would like to know if you can use any brand software or apps on say an ipad or must all the apps and software be purchased from Apple?

Can computer software like MS Word be used on an iPad ? What about various games that are used on computers can they be used on Tablets or again must they all come from the Tablet manufacture. Any suggestions are appreciated......
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby kokalo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:27 pm

The true benefit of a Windows 8 Tablet is that you can windows software on it...
ImageImage

P3! (No, not PIII)
kokalo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:49 pm

Since Apple went with an Intel-sourced motherboard, their OS platform also changed.. and there is a strong legal agreement between Apple and MS about cross-use of programming. Only those programs authorized by Apple for their products is valid under warranty. And vice versa. Any non-authorized programming likely will void any warranties. Look for the specific programs for the specific brand.
As to "small" hand-held computers, the OS of choice is typically Android or other compact OS version.. not the full retail version for a desktop system.
Instead of a MS Word program, look at the Open Office program.. from http://www.openoffice.org/
which is a very compatible program to MS Word and MS Office, but is less of a memory hog. Did you note it is FREE?
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:32 pm

If you go with Apple, you have to get the software from the Apple store - there is a lot and you will find what you need 99% of the time. The advantage of this is that it will be virus free.
If you go with a windows 8 based tablet, the software is still from M$ approved, but there is not a great deal of it, it will improve over time, unless M$ goes bust. A lot of windows desktop based software won't work on a tablet as either the specs for the hardware is too high or you need a mouse top operate it (touch screen on a lot of stuff is here, but not great).
And with Google Android, there is alot of software, but because it is 'open source' it can be prone to viruses that can steal data or dial you (if using 3G) to a premium rate hotline in Belize.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:44 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Since Apple went with an Intel-sourced motherboard, their OS platform also changed.. and there is a strong legal agreement between Apple and MS about cross-use of programming. Only those programs authorized by Apple for their products is valid under warranty. And vice versa. Any non-authorized programming likely will void any warranties. Look for the specific programs for the specific brand.
As to "small" hand-held computers, the OS of choice is typically Android or other compact OS version.. not the full retail version for a desktop system.
Instead of a MS Word program, look at the Open Office program.. from http://www.openoffice.org/
which is a very compatible program to MS Word and MS Office, but is less of a memory hog. Did you note it is FREE?

Hmmm.......Open Office ???

Can Open Office be used with still having MS Word installed on the PC ?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:48 am

Mr T wrote:If you go with Apple, you have to get the software from the Apple store - there is a lot and you will find what you need 99% of the time. The advantage of this is that it will be virus free.
If you go with a windows 8 based tablet, the software is still from M$ approved, but there is not a great deal of it, it will improve over time, unless M$ goes bust. A lot of windows desktop based software won't work on a tablet as either the specs for the hardware is too high or you need a mouse top operate it (touch screen on a lot of stuff is here, but not great).
And with Google Android, there is alot of software, but because it is 'open source' it can be prone to viruses that can steal data or dial you (if using 3G) to a premium rate hotline in Belize.

OK I get the drift. So unless something better shows up it probably would be best to go with Apple, but be prepared to pay for it.........

One more thing that just crossed my mind ??? Say I buy an iPad and iPad apps and then store what ever on the tablet, will I be able to move what ever I store on the tablet onto my PC say a saved email, photo or a document?
Last edited by c327 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:51 am

I know it's ancient but I like Outlook Express but have it set up to use my G-Mail account. What email does Apple use, and can it be set up to use Outlook Express? (No ??? right)
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:57 am

Open Office is very compatible with almost all MS office programs.. and many others. And has the ability to work older document formats that are now considered 'abandoned'.
As to storing programs or files from Apple to a PC, there will be some compatibility problems.. mainly with music and songs. Copyright issues and piracy are the reason. But Emails, photos and other documents should be no problem.
Versions of G Mail and OE are available for Apple systems. But don't use a third-party source for downloads.. go directly to the main source, such as an Apple app store or MS.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:30 am

Say I buy an iPad and iPad apps and then store what ever on the tablet, will I be able to move what ever I store on the tablet onto my PC say a saved email, photo or a document?
If you use Apple you have to use iTunes, but think of it the other way rouns, can I move stuff from my PC to my tablet. Itunes is OK, but if you lets say buy music, buy it through Amazon and store it to your PC, then drag and drop it to itunes, then DRM wont come into it as you will still have the original copy on your har drive out with itunes.. With emails, I log into my ISP's website and get them from there generally, however with my ipad and iphone I have set up my account on them and you will then access the account and delete the stuff you don't want. Then if you want the email on the PC, log into your ISP and you can view it there or set your PC based email client to download it. Hard to explain but pretty easy to do... Think of it as cloud computing. My photos get synced with itunes and I can get them onto my PC using itunes as (with windows) it uses the pictures folders.. Apple and iTunes is by no means perfect, but so far it is the most polished of the three I have used...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to The Water Cooler