First new build in 15 yrs..mobo issue

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

First new build in 15 yrs..mobo issue

Postby wazmo » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:00 am

Ok so ive been out of the loop for a long time when it comes to building pc's..but its not my first rodeo..anyway bought a Ga-f2a85x-up4 with an A6 off newegg. Right now all i get is an orange light on the mobo pwr switch. No cpu/case fans, hd spin up..nadda. Powersupply is a 550watt model BFGR550WGSPSU. I have one stick of 4g Ddr 3 installed in slot 1 and two hard drives connected. Keepin it as bare as possible. I know the pwr supply works. Womdering if it is the 24v connection. Noticed the connector shapes are slighty different. Rounded top as apposed to square on the smaller section of the supply split..what i mean is he atx suply on.my old board.was 6pin and this board is 8 so i needed to use the additional 2 pins connected to the same supply cord. Dunno if this makes any sense and sorry for typos..posting this with my phone..kinda pita :wink: also took a pic on.said phone..looking to figure out how to upload it from phone to net and post if it will help
wazmo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:50 am

Welcome to Motherboards.org!
Surprised no one responded so far.
Almost all new motherboards are packed with the BIOS battery disabled or taken out.. to ensure any testing setups are back to default, and that you do get a good battery. But sometimes, a DOA battery comes with a board!
Check your manual as to where the jumper is, for clearing the CMOS.. and how the jumper should be for normal operation. If in doubt about the battery condition, get a new one. That battery also powers the real-time clock, and most motherboard models will not become active if that clock does not function!!
As to PSU connections, many are intended to be universal. But they connect in only one way, with physically configured pins. With the main power connector, almost all boards now default to the 24-pin ATX connector. But many PSU types may still default for the 20-pin + 4-pin type. For newer video cards, there may be a specific 4-pin, 6-pin or 8-pin connection. Depending on power consumption of the card, you need the specific connector. With many board designs, they require a separate +12 volt source for the CPU power needs.. a 4-pin socket near the CPU. If not connected, then perhaps no life-signs!
Regardless if the setup is "perfect", no life signs will be noted if the PSU does not present a 'power-good' signal after the load has stabilized. This comes from a gray wire on the main power connection. It should be at +5 volts, too low and the turn-on process will not be had. Try to get the system up and running in a basic configuration, with only what features are needed.. one hard drive, one optical drive, no extra case fans.
Use only a digital meter to measure voltages.. an analog type may load the source excessively and give false readings.
Memory is specific to a setup as to module type, speed and amount. And with many motherboard designs, either dual-channel or triple-channel memory intents are at hand. For either, you need matching modules of the identical memory type. Brand is not really a factor, but timing/density/amount is critical. For a preliminary setup, use only one module in the first-detected slot. That typically is "Bank 0, Slot 0". And until the BIOS pages are configured to the setup, you may have to default to a 1 GB or 2 GB module instead of a maximum amount.

As to posting photos, you would need a hosting service to link to.. or PM a Moderator about relaying that photo for posting.

Sorry for a long post, hope it was helpful.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support