iPads Memory etc.

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

iPads Memory etc.

Postby c327 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:57 am

Have been looking at tablets like the iPad and really know little about them, so I have just a few questions regarding them.

1) Are certain programs or Apps. specific to Apples iPad or can other brand programs be used?

2) I see that tablets can be had with different memory capacities. Is it best to get the most memory available or will something less than the max be good enough?

3) Display sharpness is important to me so what features or specifics should I look for in order to have the sharpest quality display?

4) I believe iPhones have a glass display does the same apply to tablets?

5) What would be the best made brand be that would give me the best tablet use experience?

6) What would be a few of the important features to look for in a top quality and top performing tablet?

Thanks......All
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:25 am

1) Are certain programs or Apps. specific to Apples iPad or can other brand programs be used?
With apple the apps have to go through a certification process so only apps they authorise can be used. Some are free, others you pay for. Android which is the operating system of choice for other tablets, the checking is a bit less stringent so you can get more choice, but it may leave you vulnerable to virus attacks - rare, but there.. Most providers will put an app out for both Apple and Android products.

2) I see that tablets can be had with different memory capacities. Is it best to get the most memory available or will something less than the max be good enough?
It dpends on what you mean, tablets require RAM, most have 256~512mb onboard, but are moving up. It does make the operating system run a bit quicker.
Storage on the other hand, is dependent on what you do. If you download movies and music and do work off a tablet, get the maximum storage memory, 64gb is good. If you surf the web on it and thats more or less it, look at minimal storage, ie 8~16Gb.

3) Display sharpness is important to me so what features or specifics should I look for in order to have the sharpest quality display?
Don't by cheap and try before you buy.

4) I believe iPhones have a glass display does the same apply to tablets?
This leads on from 3). Glass is a lot better on the touch screen than plastic. The 'plastic' ones I have played about with are cheap and generall not as clear/sharp bright or responsive as glass, but remember glass breaks easily.

5) What would be the best made brand be that would give me the best tablet use experience?
There are three I would plumb for. The top in quality for me is apple. It has that really polished 'finished' feel. IOS6 (operating system) is fast and responsive and there are loads of apps out there. Next would be Samsung, they use Android, but the tablet qualities are excellent. Finally if you want a cheap one look at what ASUS produce, again quality is good. The Google Nexus is made by ASUS and is one of the cheap quality tablets out there.
If price is an issue, get a Nexus, otherwise i would buy an Ipad3.

6) What would be a few of the important features to look for in a top quality and top performing tablet?
Most important feature to me is screen, it must be glass. Next is the CPU, they are now on quad core CPU's and these are fastest, so stuff runs quicker and is more responsive. Storage for me is not so important, I use my Ipad for web surfing and thats about it. The rest is up to you. Get along to somewhere like Best Buy and play with their diplay models, my preference is:
Apple Ipad
Google Nexus
Samsung Galaxy
ASUS Transformer

I have yet to try a Kindle fire, but price wise kindles are very competitive...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to The Water Cooler