dual processor xeon new architecture...

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

dual processor xeon new architecture...

Postby bdub » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:36 am

going from a tyan s7025 to the the newer (and yet to be released) s7065, i've noticed the standoff holes are in different places... this may shape the way we can buy towers, as the current tower we are using is getting harder and harder to find, so we are looking for something that will fit both mobo's. is there any spec we can look for (something like "e-atx", but more to the standoff holes)?
the 7025 has the nehalem xeon chips (socket 1366). this new one (s7065) we are using e5-2650's (socket 2011), ivy bridge i think?
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby evasive » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:05 am

SSI EEB (s7025)
http://tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=641
EEB (s7065)
http://www.tyan.com/product_SKU_spec.as ... aign=S7065
but in the s7065 it clearly states:
"Physical Dimension Form Factor SSI EEB"

So I am thoroughly confused how the standoff holes can be in different places. Please check and re-verify this...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:54 pm

yeah, they are different. if looking at the mobo N-S-E-W
(not like the pictures on the product pages, but rotated counter clockwise 90 degrees)... the top left hole is right on the edge of the board, as opposed to being about an inch in. the top middle hole is further right. the middle hole is wildly off to the south and east of where it is on the 7025, and there is even another middle hole halving the difference between that middle hole and the bottom middle. i'm pretty sure i remember one of the bottom holes also doesn't fit, but i can't say that 100% right now. it is those top two ones that i am most concerned about as that's where all the weight is, and i don't want to trust that to just a sticky plastic standoff, especially in our towers. plus sticky standoffs are just a pain to work with.
interesting note, the thing fits our chenbro racks just fine. but they even say "sandy bridge" on the outside of the box when they are shipped to us, so i'm guessing they've taken the new designs into consideration.

so you are saying the form factor denotation of "eeb" is what determines standoff hole placement? one is ssi eeb and the other eeb... maybe that's the diference?

we've tried an xl-atx sized case that is supposed to acommodate e-atx, and that's where we discovered this issue. i have an antec case to try next, but it's kind of squat to my tastes.
i'd like to go with a chenbro case, but all their towers are squat like the antec, so trying to find a gamer style case that stands a little taller. our currect tower is an nzxt whisper, but they are getting harder to find in quantity (we usually buy 25 at a time).

would also like psu placement on the bottom, 'cause we customized our etasis psu's with long ass power lead cables to accomodate the whisper tower. if psu is at the top, we'll have a buttload of power cable to bunch up, and the sata power leads MIGHT all be too short!
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to General