QDI Superb 4X V2.0 BIOS update...

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby evasive » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Can you check your board and power supply for physical problems first?

http://www.badcaps.net gives some info... sounds just like that...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Daredevil » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:02 am

Well i have flashed back the original BIOS and the system is acting normal (that is without rebooting in random time intervals). So i don't think there are some serious hardware faults. Unless you believe that the new BIOS pushes the system to the limit and the power supply can't support this ... but it is strange that this is not happening i.e when i am playing a game or running a heavy application. It usually happened as soon as i logged on the windows and then in random intervals ... another thing is that when the system started the date and version of the BIOS that appeared on POST was not the same as the ones that are on the description of the file, so that is why i don't know how to check all these ...
Daredevil
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:36 am

A BIOS update must be specific to the chipset model, otherwise problems will be had with stability. And if the chipset design has inherent limits as to FSB regulation, then a newer BIOS will be of no use.. except for possible newer CPU/memory types, and larger hard drive capacities.
The original BIOS info string should carry over to the newer program, as to motherboard ID and BIOS branding.. but with an 'update' as to the version and date of creation. The name of the BIOS file update to be installed is proprietary to the motherboard manufacturer and model number update. Like an "item" number.
As to rebooting frequently, look to possible mechanical problems.. the PSU or heat issues with the CPU. Or memory pushed beyond its paging limits. The OS will dump and repage memory many times a second.. without the user being aware. But when a "major" memory dump such as a Kernel or System memory dump is effected, then a reboot or the BSOD will result. If the conditions for the OS are set to 'not reboot on memory dump', then an error message will stay displayed as to the cause.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:55 am

replace your CMOS battery and make sure to set the bios to defaults before and after the flash. In the mean time I'll download and check the updated bios your found to see if it is indeed the matching one for your board.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Daredevil » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:03 am

Well, after a number of tries i managed to flash back the new BIOS.

1. I was able to do this using a specific AWARD FLASH version...a newer version kept saying that the BIOS was write protected (of course it wasn't), while an older one stated that this was not an AWARD BIOS..!!

2. The system became utterly unstable..then, as a final try i decided to remove one RAM block from the three installed...and i think that was it.!!! Now the system is working normally with the new BIOS..no blue screens or reboots...i don't know if the problem was that there were 3 RAM blocks or the final block is a single side (older) PCB than the other two...

3. Here are the strings of the two BIOS-es:

PS6S648 S4X V2.0 1.1A (this is supposed to be 1.2b..???)
04/16/2004-SiS-648-6A7I0Q79C-00

PS6S648 V2.0 SUPERB4X 1.1
08/18/2003-SiS-648-6A7I0Q79C-00

So overall the system is now stable, and i think i will keep the new BIOS...
Daredevil
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:43 am

It's possible your memory stick has gone bad or simply is too slow compared with the other two. If you can use the system with the lesser memory, by all means, keep the new faster bios.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to BIOS