Computer will not POST due to CRT Monitor

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Computer will not POST due to CRT Monitor

Postby kevinloh » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:55 am

I have a strange issue. I recently build my computer in my sig below and I connected it to an old 15" CRT Monitor using a DVI to VGA adaptor and what I heard is 1 long beep and 3 short beeps when I turn on my computer. The monitor will not show any display just a blank screen but it is on.

Upon, removing the VGA cable, the computer will POST and using a new LCD Monitor it works just fine.

My question is, is there compatibility issue with the latest graphic cards and old CRT monitors? I have never heard of something like this before.

Appreciate some input to this issue.
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3
Intel 3930K 3.20Ghz O/C to 4.0GHz
PHANTEKS PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler
16GB CORSAIR DDR3-2133 LP
SAMSUNG 830 256GB SSD SATA3
12TB HDD Drives
EVGA Nvidia 2GB GTX680 Superclocked Signature 2
CORSAIR AX1200W PSU
Sharkoon T28 Green Edition Case
DELL 22 Widescreen LCD Monitor E228WFP
kevinloh
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:30 am

The VGA connection system has one set of pins as a "device present" intent. With using a DVI to VGA connector, it must pass that presence to the video card.. or there will be no signal output on that port. Very old CRT monitors did not have an ID (brand, model, type) feature, but since about 1996, all monitors did.
If your video card has two DVI ports, try the other. If still no video, then try another DVI to VGA adapter. There are different models!
Then too, older CRT monitors did not have a high refresh rate.. typically lower than 80 Hz. Yet in 'basic' or BIOS mode, the video would be default VGA at 60 Hz, 640 x 480 resolution.. acceptable by almost all monitors.
Yes, there may be a "legacy" issue here too.. being not accepted as a device made before a certain date. This is also known as "abandoned" status.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:02 am

New DVI standard wont accept older VGA connections, found this on an ATI 6670 and an older LCD using various VGA adaptors. Whatever one I used there was no POST and on searching the ASUS and ATI forums for a pointer and found that it is DVI-I which wont work to VGA...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:33 am

Mr T wrote:New DVI standard wont accept older VGA connections... DVI-I which wont work to VGA...

Yes, a VGA signal is analog.. and the accepted default is digital video. Been there, pulled hair (what is left!)!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General