Wireless Network Setting

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Wireless Network Setting

Postby c327 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:19 pm

This concerns an XP Pro desktop that is wired to a combo DSL modem/router that is used in a home wireless network.

In looking at the security settings and I see that there are a few to choose from, and I am not sure which to select to have the most secure and locked down network. Which of the following would be best to use?

WEP
WPA-PSK (TKIP)
WPA2-PSK (AES)
WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK

Also any suggestions as to settings I should look at to secure this network is appreciated....Thanks.

edit: Found the answer to the best security setting burried in some notes of mine.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mark H » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:56 pm

I use WPA2-PSK with password. In addition, I limit the number of allowed MAC addresses, and I must add the MAC address before the network/router will allow the connection.
Additionally, the wireless network name and the home network name are different, so any "Guest" I allow cannot see my home network, much less poke around.

What I have connected:
3 desktops (1 wireless)
3 laptops
3 smartphones
Nook Color
Blu-Ray player
also both grandkids phones and laptops/game consoles when they visit.

Whew!
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby c327 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:19 am

Mark H wrote:I use WPA2-PSK with password. In addition, I limit the number of allowed MAC addresses, and I must add the MAC address before the network/router will allow the connection.
Additionally, the wireless network name and the home network name are different, so any "Guest" I allow cannot see my home network, much less poke around.

What I have connected:
3 desktops (1 wireless)
3 laptops
3 smartphones
Nook Color
Blu-Ray player
also both grandkids phones and laptops/game consoles when they visit.

Whew!

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I had it set on WPA2-PSK so I am good there, but your other suggestions I will look at regarding the MAC address allowed and the network name.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to Networking