Doomsday Prep

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Doomsday Prep

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:36 am

So with all these posts about economic collapse and stuff, I am wondering how many people are storing food, supplies and taking other measures to ensure survival.

The future isn't as bleak up here, but I imagine a domino effect if the US economy were to collapse.

Even started to look at MRE's lately..
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Famine and plagues are worse than a "collapse" of economic society. BUT the attitude of the populace can be quite nasty, concerning a 'survival' instinct in getting food and creature comforts during an economic crisis. The U.S. has endured several international war involvements, plus the "crash" of the stock markets and banks before. But modern political moods can be a menace to society. The Congress, House and Senate seem to have a 'my way is better' attitude.. and cannot agree on unilateral regulations or funding! And each politician has their own "pork barrel" project which can be wasteful of funds, with little public benefit!! Time is running out on many budget programs.. and thousands of people may loose income unless these "regulators" get back to doing what they are supposed to do.. elected "of the people, by the people and for the people"!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:34 am

I know this may sound extreme to some but it's no laughing matter. If the United States defaults it will affect the world and the big hit will come to the diluted Dollar if it survives at all. The less Dollars you have the less of a hit you will take. The new U.S. currency will probably be the Yuan.

One important thing was left out of what one should have in their survival kit, which I for one do have, and that is firearms and plenty of ammo to go along with them.

You will need to protect your self not only from folks you don't know but your neighbors who are probably worse off than you,
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Roach412 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:04 am

we'd just roll over to my fiancee's parents house. her dad is a through-and-through survivalist. pack up some gear (including his arsenal, and reloading equipment) and head to non-urban areas...aka, north-central wisconsin or northern wisconsin.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GTX 660ti
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby c327 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:01 pm

Roach412 wrote:we'd just roll over to my fiancé's parents house. her dad is a through-and-through survivalist. pack up some gear (including his arsenal, and reloading equipment) and head to non-urban areas...aka, north-central wisconsin or northern wisconsin.

-Roach

That sounds like a great idea. Nothing wrong with being prepared, have to treat it like insurance on your car or home and hope you never have to use it but if you do at least you will have a more level playing field and a plan "B" option. Much better than having nothing.

Going to the range can be expensive today and if one goes often reloading will save some money for sure. At one time I reloaded also but my needs changed and I gave it up. Now I pay $$$ for the ammo I buy at gun shows which is a little less expensive.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby CivilDissent » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:14 pm

And the thing is, Karlsweidt, Congress does not even have to live by their own rules. Maybe, someday, the people will make Congress have to live by their own rules and their mind might change a bit, but I do not see that happening anytime soon.
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby asassin' » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:28 am

Got a GOOD kit and about 2 months stand fast; health's not good enough to worry about much more. BTW, rolling up on a thru&thru survivalist after the crunch may not be such a good idea.
asassin'
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Return to The Hundred Year War