I can't ID my M.B. Please Help

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby 8bitbubsy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:35 am

Karlsweldt wrote:
Heh, you could be my father.

Maybe more of a 'grandfather' type. Recently notched my life's mile-stone a 72nd time!
A lot of those processors of years gone by are no longer remembered.. or found. Salvaged for the gold content.
Today, AMD and Intel are the primary source of CPU types. But go back maybe 25 years, you had a wide field of manufacturers for CPU types. This included Motorola, NEC, Via, Cyrix and such forgotten names. Way back in 1971, a "fast" processor ran at around 400 MHz!!!!!!!!!!! And system memory may have been only around 256 KB. When the ancient XT system was popular, the 8088 CPU was top dog, running at around 4.7 MHz. But NEC developed a CPU that ran at 15 MHz and was a "drop-in" type.. the NEC V20. Ah, such blazing fast speed!!! Yet we still relied on floppy drives for all programming and file storage. A hard drive was a luxury unaffordable by most. If you had a 10 meg hard drive, you were very well-to-do!! As to DOS versions, there was constant upgrading as the processor speed and peripherals improved. Mr. Gates is well known to be the "father" of OS programming. But he once worked for IBM®, and suggested a better way to create an operating system for computers.. that got him fired! He went on to create the Microsoft® empire. But in the early years, there was a warning on IBM® manufactured computers that forbid any Microsoft® software from being installed!!
Sorry if I am an 'old fogey'. :oops:

Don't worry, it's interesting to see someone with real experience from the older computing days! The oldest computer I have is the C64 with a huge Commodore 1541 5.25" floppy drive, probably too new-school for your taste, with its color graphics and 3 channels of digital sounds with analog filters. Such a great retro machine.
Computing was different back then, I understand very well how the older generation might miss the golden days of putting a floppy floppy disk in the drive and wait a long time before the program loads. Might as well make a cup of coffee in the meantime. Or at least if you had those tape loaders, man that thing is really testing your patience!
Kind of ironic that the good old 5.25" floppy disks were less fragile than the 3.5" 1.44MB disks. Just walking home from school with a 3.5" 1.44MB in your pocket could very well lead to a CRC read error when you got back home to play some games.

I have a 20MB XT hard drive somewhere, but it's knackered. It was found in an Amiga 2000 that I bought off someone's hand. Those old disks are like jet engines when they're starting up. Much more interesting than booting up a modern hard drive. I imagine that drive being insanely expensive back in the mid/late 80s.

And wow, I didn't know that early IBM computers had that "Don't install Microsoft software" warning on it. That's very old-school!

Anyways, old computers are very interesting, and I'm glad to have it as a hobby. Better not use this thread any further for this discussion, as it's rather inrelevant to the topic.
8bitbubsy
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:08 pm

I have a 20MB XT hard drive somewhere, but it's knackered

All the early hard drives were the MFM type, or Modified Frequency Modulation. They relied on a servo motor to step from track to track, for data read/write. They were slow, but reliable. And if corruption happened to the tracks, you could "erase" them and reformat new ones. Modern hard drives are the RLL type, relying on a variable magnetic field to "count" tracks until the proper one was found. Any tracks 'erased' meant the drive is DOA.
Most of those early hard drives are now scarce.. but knowing the model and brand of what was original may lead to a replacement of the drive. And renewal of its use. Quantum® was once a popular add-in hard drive type, going out to more than 80 megs. It was known as a "hard card".
A lot of people think that computers are a "modern" invention. But the Babbage Engine is regarded as the "first" computer.. way back in the early 1800s. Yet it wasn't until 153 years after the idea went to paper, that the first true model came to life!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Facan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:02 am

Hello,
I have a Mitac IH4077H motherboard, wich layout is similar to IH4077D, but the jumper loctaions and numbers are totally different. It has UMC498 Chipset with integrated I/O controllers with two IDE HDD chanels. I couldn't find manual at the web (only one dead link found), only D revision is availabe. So if anybody has got description for H revision, please share with me. I've saved the board bios, so if anyone need it, I could be send it.
Thanks
Facan
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:36 am

Looks like a trip to the offline archives, problem is, those are really offline since I am renovating the area where that ftp-server lived... No ETA yet, sorry.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum