Skulltrail Behemoth

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Skulltrail Behemoth

Postby Twisty » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:34 am

Lets see how far I get with building this dual CPU rig today.

First off collect the stuff together - hopefully this is most of what I need

Next I need to check that all these 2nd hand parts actually work - testing the FB-DIMMS. I added the two 120mm fans after i burnt my finger on the FB-DIMMS.

- Webster - :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Twisty » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:32 pm

Need some help! handle of screwdriver points to central support location for mobo but there is no thread in the tray for a stud. The steel is probably too thin for me to drill and thread a hole- any ideas of how I can fix this? I feel it would be a bit risky for me to try and punch through a hole like they do in the factory.

I cut down the drive bay bracket so I can fit my radiator/fans below it. I did the first cut with some new tin snips I got, then reverted back to my old faithful angle grinder because it does much cleaner cuts. The tin snips were useful for de-burring though.

I have to screw in the bottom HDD bracket to get acceptable structural integrity - maybe later I'll come up with a more elegent solution.

That is about as far as I got as I realised I found I was already late to take the mrs out for a meal.. oops.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:44 pm

do it the old-fashioned way: drill a hole and put a small nut on the other side of the steel matching with the bolt thread of the stud.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:47 am

Yeah, good idea. I (eventually) came to the same conclusion. The only thing I could find that would fit was another stud.

The noiseblocker fans I got come with a very nice noise isolation system which I am keen to use. However, the Black Ice radiators use larger screws, which basically appears to be non-standard and is actually pretty troublesome. So I need to do a bit of a bodge to fit the noise isolation system to the radiator.

Sticky tape hole punched and applied to nuts

Delicate operation of sticking the nut on. it is not easy because the threads are stamped through so there is not a flat surface to stick to.

1 fan installed, 3 to go... Yes I did up the screws too tight - slackened off now.

Same with the top screws for the black ice radiator - it only came with long screws so I had to go through my spares bin to find something shorter that would fit

Top radiator in place

This is how far I am now = the sfan power cables for the top radiator are on the wrong side because I had to put the radiator in the other way due to clearance issues...

This is what the skulltrail looks like with the northbridge / southbridge heatsinks removed.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:19 am

.. and not use a Dremel (I am SURE you have that) to cut the other stud to size? Shame, shame... :wink:
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:28 am

True, it would have only taken a moment to cut with my angle grinder 8)
I actually want to keep it for now just incase the thread on the other side comes in useful for something. I generally leave the tidying up for later (or never ;)

My next task is fabricating bodged waterblocks for the NB SB and Express doublers so hopefully I'll get some pics up for that soon.

I am also thinking ahead on how I am going to do the wiring. To reduce the faff with wiring up lots of connectors I am thinking of using some kind of screw terminals to do a lot of the joining. If anybody knows of something more elegant than 5A screw terminal blocks then please let me know. I think I also have an earth bonding block somewhere in my parts bin that I might use.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:30 am

You could use barriers strips for a more "industrial" look

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/lis ... l=Products
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:40 am

That is a good tip, this type of connecter is much easier to secure multiple wires to a terminal than the 'eruostyle' blocks, plus I have the option of using spade/ring connectores. I dont want PCB mounting, it is strange, molex shows this picture

But I cant seem to find those on their website. Anyhow I think I am going to buy a couple of these covered 12 terminal type
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:06 am

Looks fine to me...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to System Modification