Cooling a Skulltrail

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Cooling a Skulltrail

Postby Twisty » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:51 am

Most important question - when designing a water loop, can I just treat backpressure as being analogous with Ohms? Any issues with splitting a 1/2" into two 3/8" to cool two CPU in parallel - I am worried about uneven flow?

So I am building a new rig based on a 2nd hand Skulltrail mobo and 2x L5420s. I also have 16GB of FB-DIMM on its way to me from France.

This is probably a bit of a silly thing to build because something 2500K based would probably perform better for about the same money but the idea of having 2 CPU's 8 cores and 24MB cache was appealing.

I just ordered the following
Bitfenix Shinobi XL Case
Black ICE SR1 360 rad for top and XSPC RX240 rad for bottom
Two HK LTX's to deal with the CPU's.

For now I will be using an ATI X1950 with an HK supreme VGA waterblock - hopefully upgrade to something more powerful later.

So I have the following to deal with

FB-DIMMS - apparently these run hot. I am thinking of making my own water coolers by soldering small bore copper pipe onto some copper sheet. I'll feed these with water using der Alphacool MCX splitter.

Southbridge and Northbridge
Thinking of using der Alphacool HF 14 smartmotion and maybe some MCX ram blocks.

Fans - I need to get 5 silent 120mm fans. I'm thinking of installing a system that adjusts all the rad fans using the PWM signals from the motherboard.

Tubing - going to be quite complicated. I want to drop compression fittings (because I find them annoying) and go with barbs and clamps. I am thinking 1/2", with maybe some 3/8" if I split paths and them some small bore with the RCX.
- Webster - :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:11 am

The intersection surface ratio between 2 x 3/8" to 1/2" is 1.125 so in theory the 1/2" tubing is the limiting factor here. As for the uneven flow, just make sure you get decent splitters and keep both CPU sections of the loop the same length. And yes, for calculations like this the water/electricity analogy is valid.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:51 am

As often happens this is costing me more than I thought, I think I have spent over £300 just on the water bits alone! I will post some pics when I actually start building stuff.

In terms of internal x-section 1/2" (13mm ID) is 132sq.mm, 3/8" (10mm ID) is 78sq.mm and 5/3mm is 7sq.mm, so even running 10 micro tubes in parallel will be more restrictive than 3/8" which is good because that should help keep the flow more even between all the different routes.
- Webster - :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks