DNS Changer.. Bad News!

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

DNS Changer.. Bad News!

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:29 am

A recent release by the F.B.I. indicates a 'sleeping' virus known as "DNS Changer" is about to become rampant. Reportedly, it has been loaded into hundreds of thousands of computers, and is lying in wait until July 9, 2012! It can cause your IP address to be changed, and you are redirected to infected servers which harvest your private info.. plus cause unknown (to the user) "clicks" on adverts. News on DNS:
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:49 pm

Yes so I have read. I checked my PC for this nasty and there are no indications that it is infected. I up-dated and ran all my utilities like I do any way. I probably will just leave the PC disconnected on Monday just to be on the safe side.

Might be a good time to check the clock in the BIOS to see that it is set to the right date and time if that makes any difference?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:41 am

c327 wrote:Might be a good time to check the clock in the BIOS to see that it is set to the right date and time if that makes any difference?

Keep the date and time within at least 24 hours.. if much further back, then your AV and Firewall updates may not be scheduled! And site certificates may be 'out of date'.
Seems to be a wide-spread news item about this virus or 'affliction' causing near or total loss of Internet usage on this date! But hopefully, the AV companies and government security agents have found a cure.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:59 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, this virus IS ALREADY rampant. The only thing that changes is the FBI WORKAROUND is stopped. If your PC is already infected for this long and you did not do anything about it, more than likely it is part of a botnet and should be shutdown anyway.

http://www.dcwg.org/
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:33 am

Here is a link to a Yahoo! news item I found yesterday.. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/bla ... 40354.html
Yes, all too many computers may have been infected with this virus.. and if your AV is not updated daily, the spoor of this virus may remain undetected. It could sneak in as tiny file packets, lying in wait until a "key" packet is dropped into your system.. then all those 'innocent' packets come together as a huge threat.
While the free AV and firewall programs may be great, they may lack the in-depth scanning features and pop-up blockers of the purchased versions.. and the associated link scanners for phishing cookies and such.

If you have not attended to this viral epidemic by now, then as evasive has noted, your system needs to be 'sanitized' with a complete disk wipe and full reinstall of all programming.. or shut down for good!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security