Installing Norton Internet Security on a network device.....

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Installing Norton Internet Security on a network device.....

Postby CivilDissent » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:24 am

I have 2 computers, at home, that I have gone through tough times getting setup as network within themselves and also getting them linked to the place my wife works, as a virtual network, so that she can work from home on her business network..by making a few remote connections.

We use broadband, with its desktop device and then through a cheap CNet router.

Here is the deal, our computers get lots of cheap viruses that slow our home computers down, etc. although nothing really tragic has happened yet but I would like to make them as fast as possible for my wifes sake of being on the all day long with her work business.

The thing is, I would like to install something like Norton Internet Security, etc., etc. but am scared to death that these "security" connections will alter my networks and I will not be able to figure it out. I do know computers and have been working/building computers for a long time but Networking is NOT my fortee.

So, to the really good networking people here...am I going to mess up my home networks by installing a security program to protect me from viruses/trojans/worms, etc.?

I am scared to death that I will do that and get my wife fired but I do need some sort of protection!
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby CivilDissent » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:49 am

Ok, seems I just answered my own question..sort of.

I was reading on the Microsoft site and it explains how to set a restore point but says that all restore points, on Windows 7, get deleted upon computer restart. That is goofy. As the whole point is that when I install some kind of internet security program, it is going to want me to reboot to start the application at which time the restore point will be deleted. What????

How can I avoid that? Also, can I set a restore on a different drive than the boot drive, for the OS on the boot drive? In other words, my boot drive is pretty full and make not be able to store more info like a restore point.

Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:19 am

In other words, my boot drive is pretty full and make not be able to store more info like a restore point.

1) use whatever means to clear up space on your boot drive as a full boot drive itself will slow down your computer. No viruses/malware needed.

says that all restore points, on Windows 7, get deleted upon computer restart.

2) That is a bug then, you should perfectly be able to have more than one restore point in windows 7. Just check the list of available restore points in yoru control panel.

Please show the link where it says so, never seen that behaviour so far.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby CivilDissent » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:49 am

OK, for point 2, here is one that I found in just seconds.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/69 ... reate.html

It is not a specifically Microsoft site but last night I found lots of them that said the same thing as the Tip part of this page. They kept confusing me bigtime.

Thanks.

Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:24 am

When free space on a drive gets below 10%, then the OS has a problem deciding which files to save or dump. The pagefile.sys file is the largest, sometimes going beyond 3 gigs!! And it may be fragmented, from the drive not having a proper defragmentation process in a while.
Check the 'temp' directory in Windows.. likely there are hundreds of useless, empty directories and zero-length files. Each one takes up 512 bytes of space.. and an "empty" drive may appear full!
This link from Microsoft details the Windows 7 restore point feature.. and how to create several. And this link notes a problem with Windows 7 Ultimate failing to retain restore points not created by the OS itself!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:30 am

It will kick off restore points when the reserved space is not big enough:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2506576/en-us

Since they describe it, it's not a bug but a "feature". IMHO it would be nice to get noticed when it kicks off the old restore points but hey, it's Microsoft...

In short: time to get really cleaning on that disk or buy a bigger harddisk and migrate your stuff to there, most harddisk manufacturers have a migration tool these days...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby CivilDissent » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:54 am

First, I checked and noticed that I had my C: drive on automatic defrag and it last defragmented my drive a few days ago so no problem there.

Next, I checked and I, very ignorantly, already had 3 restore points on it already...the last one from just a few days ago. :roll:

Well, I did find one folder that is huge..my old Windows.old folder. I have had Windows 7 Ultimate for a while so getting rid of a 32.5 gig Windows.old folder will really help.

I do need to, and will, check on that page.sys file for sure.

:arrow: I do have large hard drives but I partition them so that I can have all similar files in one space, for example all my videos on a D partition, photos on a E partition, etc., etc. I usually make the C: partition strictly for Windows and so I do not make it too large. That was the primary mistake as I was not thinking about backups, restore points, etc.

And, evasive, I completely agree about being given a notice when a restore point gets kicked off. My computers run pretty good but I guess I am just paranoid about installing something like a virus/trojan/worm,etc. protection program breaking the connection with my wifes job.

Also, Karlsweldt, all good points..especially that last sentence. I am going to have to investigate that one for sure. Of course, I am going to follow the instructions in the other sentences also. :wink:

Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:14 am

Was a time, many years back, that the Windows OS needed only a few gigs of drive space! Today's versions need more than 30 gigs of space on the "C" drive!!! This includes the Program Files folder and several others. Multimedia is a strong feature of all modern OS types.. and there are a great number of programs that install with the OS to enable those fields of media.. photos, music, favorite sites.. whether of interest to the user or not!
The pagefile.sys file can become corrupted after a lot of use. This link from Microsoft details how to set a key in the Registry to delete the file on shutdown.. and when the system is restarted, a new file will be created.
If unsure of how to work the Registry, do a backup first.. then PAYOR!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking