DSL Speed

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat May 26, 2012 1:56 pm

c327 wrote:
The PC's connection status page shows a connection speed of 100 Mbps ??? How can this be since my speed test shows 9.81 Mbps down which should be real good? and close to what I am paying for. But why the 100 Mbps ??? beats me....

100Mbps is simply what your network card/port on your computer is capable of.....NOT what your ISP is sending you. Most new-ish motherboards up to the present have gigabit ports.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:55 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:
c327 wrote:
The PC's connection status page shows a connection speed of 100 Mbps ??? How can this be since my speed test shows 9.81 Mbps down which should be real good? and close to what I am paying for. But why the 100 Mbps ??? beats me....

100Mbps is simply what your network card/port on your computer is capable of.....NOT what your ISP is sending you. Most new-ish motherboards up to the present have gigabit ports.

OK I got that now, that what you and others have said is a capability feature and not actual speed of the service.

But that wasn't my main concern. This PC is experiencing slightly choppy website page loading and what seems like unusually longer website page loading times.

I built this desktop PC in 2004 but it was a quality build back then using an Intel P4 D875PBZ mobo and XP Pro SP3. It has a 3.2 GHz CPU and 2.0 GB of dual channel Crucial RAM, and an ATI RADEON 9800 Pro video card.

I know its old technology wise but it still works fine for what I use it for. But It never acted up this way before and I am trying to figure out what is causing this. I am not a computer expert so that explains itself.

I am waiting for a stand alone modem from the service provider to weed out the Netgear combo modem/router as being the problem. I was wondering what else it could be in the mean time, like a component of the PC ??

The PC is clean with all checks for nasties being done with none being returned.

Thanks all................
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Mon May 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Open the case and check for a bad nichicon 1500 uF capacitor. I think this is a badcaps contender board...

http://www.badcaps.net
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Tue May 29, 2012 2:12 am

evasive wrote:Open the case and check for a bad nichicon 1500 uF capacitor. I think this is a badcaps contender board...

http://www.badcaps.net

OK sounds good. Since this PC is a little over 8 years old and is due for another cleaning inside, I will take a close look at the caps, especially the ones that are having issues. Thanks for the link. :idea:

Thanks............

A new build may be arriving sooner than I originally planned. I planned on taking this PC with me when I cashed my chips in........... :D
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Previous

Return to Networking