windows 7 but no cd

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

windows 7 but no cd

Postby jacobd23 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:07 am

hey guys, I was wondering if I can install windows 7 as a torrent into my new built pc. I have it installed onto a external hard drive but not a cd, would that work? also I apologize if we're not allowed to talk about torrents on the site.

thank you[/code]
jacobd23
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby bdub » Mon May 14, 2012 8:43 am

i am fairly certain the media has to be on a bootable device... and that the computer must be able to find the software to run. if you can set up an external hdd or a flash drive to do that, then yes. but if the file is just an iso or image of a disc, then i doubt you'll be able to initialize the install to start.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby evasive » Tue May 15, 2012 12:05 am

If you got the license somewhere that would be the same place to get the software from. On DVD, windows7 doesn't fit on a CD...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue May 15, 2012 7:40 am

Recent versions of Windows OS have an embedded (encrypted) list of COA license codes.. which the 'user' will not be able to find. For each run or stamping of the individual OS disks, a list of probable COA license codes are included. If the "match" of included license codes does not mate to the input of a COA, the installation will abort!
The only way to obtain an authentic issue of an OS install is when it includes that COA tag with the license number. The above information refers to individual sales of an OS install package. For businesses or large corporations, a package may include only two or three install disks.. plus a page (or two) of COA license numbers for install. Up to 100 individual installs can be made from the same stamping run. After that, the master pressing disks are destroyed. And any unsold license codes.
No, you cannot duplicate or "burn" a copy of the install disk. Certain hidden files will not copy over. But you could still make a backup copy for reference or daily use, excluding those certain files.
As evasive noted, the software and license are a dedicated pair.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jacobd23 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:18 pm

i think the easiest thing would be to put my old windows on the new computer and then just download windows 7 run it through winrar. I did that with the computer i have now and it worked.
jacobd23
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun May 20, 2012 9:06 am

No talking about torrents here, please. If you have a valid licence, you can burn the image to DVD. Otherwise, consider this topic closed.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems