The Mother Board
need help on ssd please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Overclockers Anonymous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbc1975
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: need help on ssd please Reply with quote

Hi to all I am new to this site so if I incorrectly post this sorry. I am building a gaming computer top of the line, but I keep reading and watch on you tube how good they are. The questions I have is do I want 2 in raid how big do I need them beside os do you want to put games and apps or just games? Thank you in advance for any comments and help
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally don't raid anything, but that's me.

i have a 128gb drive, which is the only drive in my machine. after the OS install i had a little over 100gb available, which i install everything on. if you plan on putting lots of games (or very large games) onto the drive, i would consider going larger than 128, as it gets used up pretty quick. i personally wouldn't put any photo storage or large documentation on it either...grab an external drive, whether an enclosure or just a thumb drive, for those types of requirements. i use a router-attached USB enclosure to hold my network storage.

SSD makes a significant different for load times on games - probably 10-25% of the load times from normal 7200rpm drives(from my experience).

-Roach
EVGA GTX 560ti FPB
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree. RAID doesn't really add that much speed overall, and if one drive fails, you lose everything on both drives. Stick with the SSD for installed games, and a second large storage drive (I prefer internal, but that's up to you.)

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cbc1975
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your replies, after reading them I decided on a Kingston HyperX 240 GB for my OS and games and a Seagate Barracuda 2TB hard drive for extra storage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Overclockers Anonymous All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: