Last few days in the Top 100

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Last few days in the Top 100

Postby Pette Broad » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:23 pm

We've been in the top 100 for 7 years but in about 5 days time we'll be out of it. We've had a good run going as high as the mid 30's in 2004/5 but lately new teams have been coming in at 400k a day and we just can't compete with that and its pretty well impossible to raise any interest here. In fact the entire forum is pretty dead. I've been here for a long time and its really sad to see it decline in such a way...

Sorry to say I won't be around here very often from now on, my interest in computers has waned and there's other things I want to do. I will keep folding away though for the team but at a much reduced rate from now on.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:34 pm

Time marches on, regardless of how we want it otherwise. Personal needs and ambitions will always be a first objective. New employment, new home or new friends.. life moves on. I, myself, have lost a lot of my old ambitions.. and now am content with an "easier" life. Computers are only a minor part of my daily life now. My "high" gear no longer engages!

Yes, sadly, our Forum has lost a lot of activity.. and F@H points. I will still contribute my bit to keep the spirit alive. Hopefully, many other members will do so also.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby DrD525 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Keeping the dream alive, recently surpassed 2mil points!
ABS El Diablo Full Tower
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition (OCd to 3.2GHz)
OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR3 1333
Sapphire ATI HD 4830 512mb
Corsair 750W PSU
3x750GB WD HDD RAID5 Storage
1x750GB WD HDD Win 7 Pro-64/XP Pro-32

F@H Team Rank: 17
DrD525
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby steve6787 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:25 am

Good luck to ya Pete, I've been out of folding for a long long time myself. Was cycling a few through the PS3, but havent done anything in awhile.

However, I was thinking of getting back in with my new 6-core AMD Phenom...we'll see.
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8GHz
Dual Boot Win7x64/Bodhi
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD 3450
60GB Vertex 2 SSD (For OS's)/750GB for Data
steve6787
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Psychotic Overlord » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:21 am

will someone explain what this F@H is? i'd be willing to help if i knew what to do or what this was
Psychotic Overlord
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:56 am

F@H or "Folding At Home" is the process of molecular dissemination of protein forms. This illustrates the process by which proteins "fold" and become their finalized entities. Somewhere along the process, improper replication of protein models can form.. and are responsible for types of cancer and other maladies of mankind.
By joining the program, your home computer receives a small protein molecule and "folds" it during a background process.. not causing any noted slowing or interference with your normal computer operation.
Here is the link to the Stanford University site.. http://folding.stanford.edu/
This is a world-wide effort to discover why and how proteins fold improperly and what can be done to prevent that.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:28 pm

steve6787 wrote:Good luck to ya Pete, I've been out of folding for a long long time myself. Was cycling a few through the PS3, but havent done anything in awhile.

However, I was thinking of getting back in with my new 6-core AMD Phenom...we'll see.

I've recently completed a 48 hour run of Folding on some of my machines just to test them out really and to see what the latests units are like. I've ordered a couple of 8 core Black edition Phenom CPU's and motherboards with a view to coming back full time later this year. Sometime around September looks the most likely.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team