SCAREWARE PROBLEM........

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:31 am

Set your browser security level to 'medium-high' for best overall protection. Then check the boxes for blocking pop-ups and third-party cookies!
All too many of those malware pop-ups are "bombs" that go off even if you click the "close" or "X" box to make them go away!
You and thousands of other PC users want to find those malware purveyors and turn them into "highway pizza"!!

If you don't disable the 'restore' feature with Windows before cleansing the system, then the infestation will constantly return. Only after ensuring that the system is sanitized, then enable the 'restore' feature.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Strider » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Karlsweldt,

I have never heard about turning off 'System Restore' before so I appreciate that tip.

Also, I said earlier that when I went into safe-mode/administrator that I got a pop-up asking what program I wanted to use when I tried to open AVG or Malware Bytes but that has suddenly changed and I am running those things even as I write this.

Overnight, I will run everything I have and see if the bugger is finally gone but I really appreciate all the help you guys have offered.

BTW, I mentioned buying a new SATA2 HDD and getting a SATA/IDE connector and just reloading XP. Does that sound viable?

My current HDD is 37GB and naturally anything I bought now would be many times larger, and one part of a new box.

Thanks for any thoughts..........

Strider
Strider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:22 am

The "restore" feature became automatic with Win XP. It will restore almost any lost file or data on the next restart, in case someone did a delete in error. A lot of malware purveyors know this process, and rely on the user not knowing to turn off the 'restore' feature before cleansing the system. Malware does root itself in the master Registry.. so a registry cleaner may be needed.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Strider » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Karlsweldt,

I tried turning off 'Restore' before I did some cleaning and now I am limited as to how far I can go back. I may have done some cleaning I shouldn't have. Hmmmm.

Currently, in addition to being able to do a 'Restore' I am also unable to reformat the HDD so I am just going to buy a new HDD when the prices come down...When I tried to reinstall XP it said the version on the HDD was older and thus a reinstall was not allowed.

Tanks again and Merry Christmas everyone................

Strider
Strider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:13 am

Malware is like a cancer.. it can replicate itself into many other files, and that is part of the 'last steps' toward a total system failure.
If a viral sweep finds signatures in executable files, then those files are deleted or moved to a virus "vault" for security.

The only way to reformat a hard drive is to use the OS install disk.. then delete any existing partitions, then shut down and restart with none formed.. then create partitions as required. The security features of the OS install process prevent deletion of existing system files. Many system files have been updated by the support process.. thus the error message about being "older" than the current version. You will have to start from scratch.. and get all the updates again.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security