DX48BT2 - Can anyone guide me on overclocking a DX48BT2

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

DX48BT2 - Can anyone guide me on overclocking a DX48BT2

Postby theopittas » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi all.
I have a Intel DX48BT2 MOBO, CPU Intel Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz RAM DDR3 4 GB (DRAM 533)
It seems a good time to try to overclock this mother board and CPU. I would like to take it over the 3GHz…say 3.2.
BUT I have no idea how to do it….. does anyone have a step by step method. At least a place to start?? I don’t even know how to read the BIOS screen. A link on my BIOS screen shots…

www motherboards org/reviews/motherboards/1791_5.html

I have read a lot about it…. Some makes sence but most does not….Really could do with a hand. Anyone willing to take on a newbe?? Thanks Theo (UK)
theopittas
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Toby B. » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:59 pm

1. You're going to need better cooling for starters. Assuming you are using the provided goop that came with your CPU.
1b. So a new/beefier heatsink/fan combo is needed, and Arctic Silver thermal paste. (and you will need to remove the old goop first).

2. Depending on your setup I would also recommend adding some more case fans for added cooling.

BUT I have no idea how to do it…..
That has me a bit worried. Yes you can overclock some motherboards by 6-800MHz, but if you don't know what you are doing you can melt your components beyond future use..

As far as the actual overclocking proceedure on your board, I don't know since I have never worked with a retail Intel board..
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm

Intel boards are solid, but do not overclock well, and offer few ways to do so. I agree with Toby, before you start to do anything, do some research on your particular board, and see what experience others have had. As for an air cooler (assuming you have a big enough case, you didn't specify that) Thermalright's Venemous X is a good cooler, and a piece of cake to install (again, depending on your case, you'll have to remove the motherboard to install the brackets).
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:38 am

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainbo ... 48bt2.html
Intel DX48BT2: "Overclocker" Mainboard Not for Overclockers

don’t take this mainboard to be an overclocker product (since we failed to overclock the CPU on it anyway) and it will be simply perfect.

QED, save yourself some money on the cooling upgrade...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Is it possible to clock a DX48BT2 ??

Postby theopittas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:04 am

Hi guys…and thanks for the reply….. A bit more information about the machine….
The case is a middi tower Lian Li (Its massive) and I installed a Scythe ninja cooler . The average temp I get is between
35-45 C on idle, at 100% CPU load it hits about 50-55C. This running all fans at 50%, so I still have more cooling at my disposal.

As for the Intel board, I also read this article…and yes it’s a tricky board to clock, but I have read other that say it’s a quite easy board to clock too.
However, there are no links to these sites…so I’m stuck!!!.... What do you think ???

Thanks T
theopittas
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:31 am

Leave it be for now. Since you're not quite sure how to do it (and Q6600's are hard to find these days) don't risk damaging anything. One of the big rules of thumb for overclokers..."plan on buying new parts if you fail, or don't do it at all".
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

DX48BT2

Postby theopittas » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:57 am

Hi all and thanks for the information.... I think I'm going to listen to you guys!! All the info I've heard about this board seems to say .... keep away from clocking.... Its a shame! Just got Battlefields III and my machine is struggling to run it. Hmmm... I think its going to be a new machine for Christmas !!!!
Thanks for the help !!!!! Theo
theopittas
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Overclockers Anonymous