Bad virus problem...please help?

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Bad virus problem...please help?

Postby lisasctt4 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:32 am

I've been having some really bad virus problems... I tried avg, avast, malwarebytes, spy doctor, Pretty much everything i could find, but im still having problems.
If i reset or format my computer will it get rid of the virus(s) ??

I really dont care at all about my files. I dont wanna hear it.
lisasctt4
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:34 am

Yes, reinstalling your OS will get rid of the virus, along with everything else.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:13 am

Surest way is of course to reformat. But in a specific way.. or those viral forms will migrate from memory back to the drive!
Begin by deleting all partitions.. then shut down with none formed, and restart. Then form new partitions as needed and do a reinstall. Should be a clean finish.
Do not go on-line for any reason, until you have your anti-virus and firewall programs installed. They can be obtained from another known-safe system.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri May 09, 2014 7:17 am

Re MarkWhite posting..
To do only a reformat on a hard drive will not eliminate a virus. As long as there is one partition on the drive, the virus can respawn itself. Even the best anti-viral software may not be effective at complete removal.
The only sure cleansing is as I suggested.. delete any existing partitions, then exit the setup program with none formed, and shut down for more than one minute. Restart, and you are 99.9% assured of a 'sanitized' drive.
If the drive still has partitions, then the MBR has been corrupted. A specific DOD format is needed. WIKI: Data Remanence
http://www.killdisk.com/ has a comparable program.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security