Olivetti M480-30 BIOS

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby evasive » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:09 pm

so we need the diagnostics disks for the M480-30 rev 1.06 we'll try and dig those up...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Retrocomputer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:34 pm

Yes, and we MUST find them! :lol: :D PDT_Armataz_01_01

Davide
Retrocomputer
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:23 am

"Bump".
Topic is a bit old, but was wondering what the results were in getting this old system set up properly.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Retrocomputer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi everybody, it's been quite a while since the last time I posted here...
Well, my absence isn't unjustified... I stayed away due to major family problems...
Anyway, I'm at a stalemate with that Olivetti PC. Since the last time I posted here, nothing new happened, no HDD recognizing, no BIOS access, anything... I'm really demoralized, even if that makes the challenge more... challenging!!
Do you have any piece of news about it?

Thx,
David :wink:
Retrocomputer
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Ok, I have put some 20 minutes into this to try and find more info. It seems this thing is a MCA machine.

The M480-50 is a known rebranded IBM PS/2 9550-ALA so I want to ask you to check the back of your system for a similar marking. I don't think there's any other company producing MCA machines but IBM (that's why this standard never got used by the big public). Once we have that type number we can try and use the IBM variant of the setup disk (as long as we do not replace the bios with the IBM it is safe to use it I think).
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Retrocomputer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:00 am

Yes, I confirm that's an MCA machine, I took some photos of the expansion slots and I sent them to my retrocompuerist friend., who replied that my Olivetti is an MCA-based PC.
I'll try within today or tomorrow to check if something related to IBM is written in the PC.
Thank you for your time!
Oh, can you send the Service manual again? I lost it lots of time ago...

Thanks,
David
Retrocomputer
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Retrocomputer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi, everybody.
I just checked but nothing relating to an IBM machine.
The only thing I found in the Model Number which is: XP 2670.
The MoBo is marked in the copper layer as COPYRIGHT (C) - Olivetti 1990 BA-865. Then a sticker on the top pf the MoBo says BA-952 after a barcode and an alphanumeric sequence.
Probably the machine is actually from mid 1992/early 1993.

What a strange PC I found...
Retrocomputer
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Retrocomputer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:50 pm

Ah yes, I found a thing.
I downloaded from a site the setup diskette for the Olivetti M486, a different machine. I tried, and it incredibly enters the BIOS or sthing like that. :o
It shows Ver. 1.06, but it asserts I have an EISA board (not true! I've got an MCA one!), probably because that one is the one the M486 has.
Obviously, even if I set everything and save, nothing new happens... (probably it doesn't write the BIOS correctly, because of the differences in models)...

:roll: :x

Bye and thanks,
David
Retrocomputer
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:22 am

EISA was the PC industry's competition to IBM's MCA design. But it fell out of favor with the arrival of the PCI slot. The EISA design allowed use of add-on cards in non-specific slots, whereas the MCA design reserved specific slots for specific add-on cards.
Those old systems by Olivetti and others were very proprietary.. and only specific setup disk types could access the BIOS, if there was one. Early Amstrad, Digital, Epson and Wang systems were similar.
Could not find my reference manual for old floppy drive settings, but did find this Web link which may be helpful.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Retrocomputer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:15 pm

... I'm really losing hopes to have this system working again... :( PDT_Armataz_01_16
I actually DON'T know what else to do.
Tried everything, but nothing works.
I can't understand at all why Olivetti wants to "erase" its past. Every useful link on the web, is offline, (I discovered that many years ago there was a site by Olivetti, in which you were able to download every sngle driver and BIOS access for every single machine ever made by Olivetti, from the M24 to the latest ones)., and other companies, like IBM, HP-Compaq etc. are still providing sofware & drivers for their oldest PCs.
If sthing new "occurs" in your minds, don't hesitate to tell me...

Thanks,
David

P.S: evasive, I sent you an e-mail requesting a manual at olivetti_info@xs...etcetcetc.nl (I don't know if e-mail addresses posting is legal...)
Retrocomputer
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PreviousNext

Return to BIOS