Using TV as main monitor (HTPC and workstation in one?)

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Using TV as main monitor (HTPC and workstation in one?)

Postby Ben » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi All,

Not really looking for hardware recommendations (yet), but I wanted some feedback from anyone who uses their HDTV as their main computer monitor (i.e. working from the couch).

I'm a bit limited in my new apartment in terms of space, and already have a good TV (40" LED Samsung) and surround sound system around my couch. I desperately need to upgrade my laptop and want to do some video/photo editing so figured it would make more sense to get a desktop workstation.

Due to these space restrictions, I thought I could just buy a tower/SFF PC and hook it into my entertainment infrastructure, rather than taking up an extra surface.

My main concerns are:
1. Sitting on the couch doesn't feel that comfortable (I'd prefer to rest my arms on a table while I work).
2. How can I get a suitable keyboard and mouse that is more than an HTPC control.
3. Would the screen be too far away (6ft) for using a desktop OS?

The other advantage would be I can use XBMC on the TV for a nicer interface (right now I've got the TV reading off an HDD).

ALTERNATIVELY, I could have my workstation on a table, with an audio/video secondary output to my TV/speakers. Same goes if I end up getting a laptop.

You guys have any experience to share? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Ben
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to Recommendations