Unemployment...........

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Unemployment...........

Postby CivilDissent » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:42 am

I have said some things about media deception and unemployment under some different heading but wanted to focus more upon it here.

For some that need more "proof" through articles from the media, here is one.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110602/ap_on_bi_ge/us_economy_missing_workers

And I would note that the article be fully read, including the comments at the bottom of the pages....written by people in the market and not media.

Note that even in the article, it is pointed out that the media impression that unemployment is going down and economy is getting better is total trash. The people in the comments section fully back up this point also.

Also, take a close look at how the media define the term "labor force" and "unemployed". The numbers used for defining the unemployment rate are also misconstrued.

I have seen/heard a side comment from one or two on NBC and ABC that will quietly admit that things are not going so great in our economy as the President wants us to believe. A miracle within itself.

It seems to be turning out that Obama did not have it all figured out after all.
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mr T » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:36 am

The same in the UK... Nothing changes, you can manipulte statistics to make anything look like anything... It is a common problem, only the affected people know the real truth....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:28 am

It can take days.. or years.. to build an "empire" or working enterprise. But it can take only seconds to destroy that entity.
The problem of unemployment is world-wide.. not just local. And all businesses and trades are affected by the current situation. The "great crash" of 1929 was disastrous due to poorer communications among markets. The current economic crash had almost instant notices around the world.. and helped restrain its catastrophic end.
It was reported frequently about several large manufacturing plants closing down due to the economic slump, and just recently a few of those plants have re-opened and are hiring back those workers. The U.S. Government was the only financial source that would "advance" funds to several large companies to keep them from sinking into bankruptcy. Many have repaid that "loan" with interest.
Unemployment statistics are seasonal, as stores and factories hire before Holiday seasons.. then lay off after the seasonal production items. Same is true of agriculture and scholastic enterprises.
After a collapse of an economy, the first step is to stabilize.. then rebuild slowly. It could take as long or longer to rebuild to that point of existence prior to the collapse. But time and patience is the best healer.
The cause of the current crisis can be blamed on many sources.. including speculators and lending institutes that did not adhere to good business practices, looking only for instant profits. Banks were all too eager to gain commissions, then sell off those contracts to other institutions.. knowing that the credit rating and payment capability of the consumers was less than ideal.
And also blame local industries.. looking overseas to cheaper labor forces and materials to make products. This put a lot of the "home" workers out of jobs!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby CivilDissent » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:40 am

Agree, agree. But people have to bear down and just face the facts that the vast majority of the time a quick snap of the fingers or a president does not cause nor cure something of the magnitude of a depression or recession.

Many times just a statement can scare people into not buying things and that can affect a market or markets. People themselves affect many things and therefore the market. Just throwing money at markets rarely helps them. When people start getting their confidence back and start making realistic decisions things will get better. For the past 10 years, or so, many people have been spending and living beyond their abilities and that was noones fault but themselves. Not the governments or anyone else.

Karlsweldt wrote:The problem of unemployment is world-wide.. not just local.

More people need to realize this, especially Democrats that want to blame Bush for everything.

I do not think that most people really understand how a dollars', or any other monetary substance, value affects them. As much as it get talked about in the media, I still do not think people get it. So many people seem to think that a government can just roll dollars off of the printing press and its value stays the same at a one to one value no matter what.

I make no claim to be an accountant or economist, etc. but it seems quite simple to me. For me, and I sure someone will correct if I am wrong extremely quickly, a countries value is based on how much gold and values it has. For example, if say a country has 1 million dollars in gold stored away and it prints 2 million dollars then each paper dollar is worth 50 cents. In other words, 1 million dollars in gold is always 1 million dollars in gold....I do not care how many pieces of paper is printed. So, the government can print 50 trillion dollars in paper but the governments value, no matter what is always still only 1 million dollars. People need to get that into their heads.

With that being said say a auto manufacturer wants to sell a car worth 10,000 dollars and the government has only 1 million dollars in gold but has printed 10 million dollars of paper money. Then, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that means that the auto manufacturer would have to get 100,000 dollars in paper money just to equal the real value of what the car is worth. Correct? And, this is a big reason things start to cost more when the government starts rolling out money.

P.S. I have been to the Denver mint and all of that shiny stuff in rooms guarded by lasers and solid steel walls is awfully pretty but I definitely would not want to put one foot into those rooms. :wink:
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby c327 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:33 am

When I drive past a group of stores and see so many with signs for rent or for sale that is telling me the real story, which is nothing has changed for the better economy wise. Read recently where they now are saying that inflation is going up again ???? If that is correct and the economy has not improved with jobs and businesses still at a loss then to me it seems we are heading for some very hard times.

Raising the debt ceiling, what a bunch of BS. Print more money and weaken it further, what idiots. Where are all these jobs that were supposed to have been created????
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to The Hundred Year War