getting back into it...

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

getting back into it...

Postby Toby B. » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:08 pm

well I now have a new desktop and a new (about a year old now) laptop. Im interested in getting them folding but am not sure on best setup..

Both systems are running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
Desktop is running an AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core and has 3GB of RAM
Laptop is running an Intel i3 M330@2.13GHz and has 4GB of RAM
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:16 pm

Good to have you back in the "fold".
Best would be the Console version on the desktop, set your prefs and "let 'er rip" so to speak. If you have a multi-core CPU, it can do two WUs simultaneously, as long as they have different folder names (or on different drives). The laptop would be best with only one WU at a time. Of course, it would have to always be on AC power, and may need a cooling plate or other means to keep it at a happy temperature. Should run normally with the lid closed. Guess you know the link for the Console version commands..
http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html .

I use a Console control for each WU, launched from a desktop link.. not as a service-related start.
I would do a 24/7 folding routine, but electric costs by me are at $0.175 per KWH! Hope they are less in your area.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi Toby,

Good to see you here again. Karl has pretty well summed it up, just a couple of things to add. After you've added your flags (-advmethods is usually best) and you run the program for the first make sure that after you've added your user name, team number, etc that you proceed to the advanced settings. You can leave them all on the default setting except for the machine ID settings which on each instance must be set differently. The other thing worth mentioning is what sort of graphics card you have in the AMD machine. If you have an ATI or NVidia card then this can be utilised too. Not sure exactly what ATI cards are supported but anything from an 8600 Nvidia card can be used to great effect.

Cheers,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby ~PJ~ » Sat May 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Have to say I'm not sure how to set it up twice for dual core...

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun May 29, 2011 5:06 am

Setting up F@H for dual-core should be no different than the previous generation CPU types with HT. As long as each program folder has a unique name, there should be no problems with crossing operations. You could use "F@H1", "F@H2" or "Folding@Home1", or other. As long as each folder has the unique name. Of course the programming in each would need to be duplicated, and your unique user name and machine type would be added to the start-up configuration. Stanford will add the unique serial # ID to your configuration.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team