I am moving to a new server today!

Please post here with problems or errors you receive while using the forums. This is not for hardware tech support. If you are having problems logging in or registering please post here (you can post as guest - post the username you are having issues with - DO NOT POST YOUR PASSWORD)

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby MoboCop » Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:42 pm

sorry on the browser issue. I still do not know what is up with that.

On a more important front I have tracked down the reason the site was down the last two times and fixed it.

First problem we had was the sql connection locking due to too many users. That one has not cropped up for over a week and for now the number of users is sufficient.

The newest problem is that the httpd service is getting killed by a rogue log file (today it was over 2GB). I found the solution to this one now and unless there are other issues waiting to kill the server I think we will have much smoother sailing.

Thanks.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby evasive » Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:39 pm

I knew there was a reason for not putting the downloadables (manuals and bioses) online yet :lol:
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MoboCop » Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:56 pm

So I am at a loss here. These browser versions that are not working now worked no problem before?

Do these browsers work in other phpbb forums?
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

I just clicked on about everything ...

Postby tonycarr » Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:25 pm

there is @ this site and no problems what so ever .
I am using cable modem , windows xp home , IE 6 .

Thanks for all your hard work in keeping this site one of my favorites .
E Pluribus Unum
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Happy Hillbilly » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:13 pm

Mobocop,
EvLwMn & sodsm live are the two main linux users that I know of & I believe that they both you Mozilla. What version of Mozilla, I don't know. But they say it's the same version they were using on this site before the switch and they both can access Peter's phpbb forum, 8D.

I suppose that I should've just let them speak for themselves but I was just trying to help. :wink:
Luke 6:31
Happy Hillbilly
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:23 pm

i'm using IE6sp1 w/ win98se at this very moment, and all appears ok (exept time issue). i've used red hat 7.3, which comes w/ konquerer, mozilla, and netscape- appears that mozilla will load partially, and then state done (obviously not) looks like a blank screen. not sure w/ netscape. it would be best to be booted up into linux and writing this, but i'm busy and can't afford to spend the time waiting for a reboot. i'll have to check later though.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Toby B. » Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:55 pm

Happy Hillbilly wrote:Mobocop,
EvLwMn & sodsm live are the two main linux users that I know of & I believe that they both you Mozilla. What version of Mozilla, I don't know. But they say it's the same version they were using on this site before the switch and they both can access Peter's phpbb forum, 8D.

I suppose that I should've just let them speak for themselves but I was just trying to help. :wink:
Thanks for helping HH, I know EvLwMn is using Mozilla version 1.2.1, as fo sodsm live - I have no idea. EvlwMn is able to access at least two other forums using the phpbb software without problems..........

MoboCop - I sent an email to you the othherday in regaurds to EvLwM's list of browsers.......

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:01 am

in linux, konqueror works the best. mozilla will display the motherboards.org home page, as well as netscape browser- though going to the forums is where mozilla, and netscape won't load the page. mozilla will show 'document done' w/ a blank page, and netscape will show a dialog box stating 'a communications error occured. please try again'. that is the story at my end- later.

appears that konqueror will show a % page loaded status bar and it hangs at a % completed?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby EvLwMn » Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:15 am

Hi dudes - at work now using IE 6.0 - can only stay for a minute.

I can get here from home using Opera and Konqueror but both browsers load the page funky - Opera just looks funky and I can't look at it for very long and Konqueror only loads half the page - useable but unacceptable.

I am able to get to any other phpbb forum from Mozilla 1.2.1 - just this one gives me trouble. When I come out here I get the same as Len444 - Mozilla starts to load then says done but displays a blank page and NetScape tries to load but then displays the "communucations error" Len444 posted.

I hope you are able to get it repaired soon MoboCop. Even though I am busy at a couple of other forums I really miss coming here. I don't want the members of this forum to think I have abandoned them - I haven't, at least not intentionally. :(

Do you think maybe the code somehow got corrupted in some small way during the migration? Just a thought. I've had it happen before so I figure it's possible.

Good luck in fixing the problems. 8)
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby MoboCop » Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:17 pm

ok I have fixed the mozilla/netscape problem with the forums.

Apparently the forums when using gzip compression and with certain server software installs (note the recent server change when the problem began) cause mozilla/netscape browsers to not display the page.

I have turned off gzip compression and I have netscape working fine now.

let me know if the problem persists for you.

Thanks.
MoboCop
Drunken Master

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Problems/Errors