People keep getting spam from my email

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

People keep getting spam from my email

Postby hunter1801 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:40 pm

I use Gmail and a few days ago my account got closed because it had been "compromised". I couldn't log in unless I gave Google my phone number to send a verification code to. I did that and when I entered back into my email I noticed some weird things.

There were a ton of spam messages in the spam folder. They were apparently messeges coming back as "failure to send" while my account was closed. They were mass emails to other people though. I also had a few messages from people asking me to take them off my email list. Someone told me that they were receiving spam from me.

Obviously I'm not sending spam out. What can I do to stop this? I got my account back but have had a couple emails come back still in the same way.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:12 am

You probably can't.
People can spoof your address and pretend they are sending from you. They use completely different email servers then GMAIL. When it hits the recipients mail spam filter, it usually fails the standard checks (SPF, RDNS, etc) and then it bounces back to the sender with an NDR report - which is you.
GMAIL also tags these as spam and they end up in your spam folder.

Solution is to change your email address. And don't post it publicly anywhere.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hunter1801 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:25 am

Well it is just my spam email that I use for stuff like craigslist or signing up to sites that require a login. Luckily it isn't my main email account. Seems surprising that people would be able to do that. Just use my email name in the subject line. Would have thought that something like that would have been looked at and prevented.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby AmEv » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:28 pm

What is this world coming to? :o

Faking email addresses? That scares me.
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:25 pm

It happens to me on Yahell once in awhile. I just drop support a note, and eventually it stops. Fortunately, it's only happened to me twice in ten years.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hunter1801 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:57 pm

I've gotten a couple spam links from old friends before. Figured they were purposely sending it. Guess they probably got in the same situation I did.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

same problem to one of my client

Postby braydenalex » Sat May 14, 2011 11:40 am

Exactly the same problem with one of my client , a virus somehow find my client gmail e-mail and send allot of spam , but the big problem was that my client had more than 75000 company important e-mail in the google accout and all e-mails was somehow removed, the client business was almost destroyed..
braydenalex
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security