motherboard error

Moderator: The Mod Squad

motherboard error

Postby bunty82 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:17 am

Alright this problem i am facing for the past 3 years right after i got this motherboard.
what happened today. is (using windows XP 64bit). I inserted my 8gb pendrive and the system reboots and gives 3 long beeps.
dont know what it is. I tried everything and when i removed 1 (1gb) ram
its working perfectly.
Here is the bios error pic which might be handy. Please tell me whats the problem. ALso whenever i play audio or video the sound crackles and the whole system dribbles.
Image[/img]
bunty82
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby bunty82 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:19 am

System configuration is
Dg965ry motherboard
Intel intgrated graphic card 128 mb ram
2 gb ram (1x2)
160gb sata HDD
250gb Sata hdd
cd writer.
bunty82
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Classic signs of the BIOS battery going DOA. The battery is good for about 3~4 years, and the first signs are the time/date going off frequently. Then the BIOS settings stray from what was set.. and a system acts strange or fails to boot. The battery is only a backup for when no power from the AC mains get into the PSU. The PSU +5 volts stand-by powers the BIOS circuits and USB ports at all times, otherwise.
Change the battery, reset the CMOS memory, then set the BIOS features on each page according to how the system is built.
But there are other indications possibly related to overheating. The heatsink may not be properly clamped down on the CPU, and is not efficiently drawing heat from it. Clean off all the old thermal paste or pad, and replace with new. A very small amount of thermal paste will be most effective, but if there was a thermal pad, it must be replaced. Thermal paste will not have the same thickness.
If you have on-board graphics, the Northbridge chipset may have been damaged from excess heat. Hope not. If so, then you may have to install a video card.
You don't note what the PSU rating is on that system. If one of those 'packaged' setups, the PSU likely is marginal for the design. May be worth testing with a new PSU of at least 500 watts, to see if performance is better. When the USB pen drive is connected, and the system goes down, that indicates the PSU is not robust enough for the load.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bunty82 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:47 pm

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii89 ... 011100.jpg

new bug system restarts after very 1/2 or 1 hr.
CPU temp reaches to 70*C
bunty82
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 pm

CPU temp reaches to 70*C

May be that the CPU is not transferring heat efficiently to the heat sink. Clean off all the thermal compound, replace with a minimal amount of new.. and ensure the heat sink is tight on the CPU heat spreader.
Check the BIOS page about the thermal cut-off for the CPU. 70°C. equates to 158°F. , which is a bit below borderline for thermal "headaches". Normal temps should be around 65°C. Ambient air will increase the CPU operating temps. Also ensure there is sufficient air flow into the case, a ratio of 1.5:1 intake air to exhaust air is a good balance.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bunty82 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:45 pm

i checked it out it was the heat sink which was givin error.
Pins were loose.
I removed it with new heatsink now the temp is below 35*c
rest is fine.
But sometimes i see BSOD and system reboot unexpectly.
bunty82
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:21 pm

time to check board and power supply for bad capacitors.

http://www.badcaps.net
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS