Server 2003 shared folder to Ubuntu 10.10 Wine app (ugh)

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Server 2003 shared folder to Ubuntu 10.10 Wine app (ugh)

Postby bugninja » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Hello. Let me first say this is posted verbatim on the Ubuntu forums but no one has responded. With that said...

Ubuntu 10.10 coinciding with Server 2003.

I am using Likewise to join a Server 2003 AD. I can access shared folders within the domain using Samba's SMB and entering a user/pw. Let me use example 'smb://server2003/data'. I can see everything. Step two: I have a Windows-based database program that writes files to one of those shared folders. It is not used as a terminal service, just a storage space for the data and the program resides on the local hard drive. I've used Wine to install the program and it loads fine. The interface loads a login window that displays the server path. Here is where it gets tricky. The program displays a 'server path' as '//server2003/data' but also displays the message 'invalid server directory'. I can ping the server and even access the server just fine using the above-mentioned avenues. I tried replacing it with 'smb://server2003/data' but since this isn't nautilus, and is instead a native MS program, that fails. I tried '//192.***.*.*/data' where * = its the IP address, but that also fails.

I have the AD server also acting as DNS and DHCP functionality. Everything is a static IP.

My questions are really about how the // string in windows translates to Ubuntu syntax. For all I know this is just a simple error on my part, though the chance of that is slim. I may be attempting the impossible. Any help is appreciated.
Our lifestyles determine our death styles.
bugninja
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Mr T » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:23 am

This may give you an idea.. Have been trying a similar thing with windows7 running on virtualbox in order to get a shared folder.. I know its my issue... :x
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:44 am

ehhh, can you mount that windows share on your ubuntu box and then use samba to share it locally and point the database to that samba share?

maybe a bit complicated but it should give you some idea of which part is failing, be it rights locally, remotely, firewall or routing...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bugninja » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:04 am

I believe local mounting will help though that is new for me. I'll attempt it over the next two weeks and post accordingly.
Our lifestyles determine our death styles.
bugninja
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Networking