TurboV + Intel i5 760 quad

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

TurboV + Intel i5 760 quad

Postby Wisheezy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:55 am

I just wondered, as I noticed that TurboV is a overclocking tool that can I actually change my CPU speed without frying or killing my computer?

The specs I'm guessing you may need to know

550W HEC Desktop Power Supply
ASUS P7P55 LX Mainboard - Intel Core™ i - LGA 1156 / ATX
Intel® Core™ i5 760 Quad Core (2.80GHz, 8MB Cache) + Turbo Boost
4GB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM - (2x2GB)
1GB NVIDIA Geforce GT430 with CUDA Graphics Accelerator - DX11

When I click on the TurboV drop down menu it says:

"Performance"
"Superior"
"Ultimate"

At the moment it says:

BCLK Frequency 133MHz
CPU Voltage 1.14375
DRAM Bus Voltage 1.7(V)
IMC Voltage 1.10(V)

No idea what they even mean but I'm sure they may be needed for someone to give me advice.

I just basically wondered if click on "Performance" or any other of the profile options would it kill my PC. If so then why would they even install it onto my computer as standard?

Any advice/help is appreciated :D Thank you!
Wisheezy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:49 am

What brand and model of machine are we talking about here? Storebought or homebuilt? In general, software overclocking is frowned upon, as it's just using a program to "fool" the proc into thinking the BIOS is being adjusted. You want to overclock very very slowly through the BIOS.

As far as the voltages go, those determine the voltages needed to increase stability at higher clock speeds. BCLK is the processor's internal clock frequency, similar to the old FSB speed. You adjust that to increase the processor speed. CPU voltage can be raised for stability at higher clock speeds, as more power is needed. DRAM bus voltage is the voltage your RAM runs at, again, needing to be increased for stability as you increase the clock speed. RAM and clock speed go hand in hand, and it's best to do that through the BIOS, so you can set the RAM back to a slower speed from the start, lowering the voltage requirements. IMC voltage can ge compared to the old VTT voltage, which also controls your RAM, but at the memory controller stage.If you were trying to take an unlocked processor and OC it to 4.0GHZ, you'd need to adjust that.

The software shouldn't damage your computer, but for now, leave it be, and read read read read read. Overclocking is not for the faint of heart or short of wallet. FWIWm I doubt the software is actually overclocking. All new Intel procs can throttle back when the power isn't needed. All the software is doing is telling the processor you're running a high powered app all the time, thus making it run at full rated speed 100% of the time. I can do the same with my old Core2Duo, by turning off SpeedStep and manually setting the FSB where I want it to stay.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Wisheezy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:56 am

Thank you for your fast and informative response. I've taken in what you've said and I'm going to leave it, do some reading but as of now I think i'll just let it be or at least until' I know exactly what I'm doing. Thank you for your advice :)
Wisheezy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Overclockers Anonymous