new video card = no sound :(

Moderator: The Mod Squad

new video card = no sound :(

Postby rouge00 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:40 pm

ok i installed my new Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 card and dont get any sound anymore.

im using an Asus P6T SE motherboard with windows 7.

when playing itunes it shows that the volume is working when i go to the control panel but it says that my speakers are not plugged in. i have them plugged in to my sound card, which worked perfectly fine with my previous Nvidia card.

need 5 posts before i can post any url's/links, so i cant show you the nvida FAQ i went to.

but couldnt find where to change my onboard sound in the BIOS.

any thoughts?

thanx in advance
rouge00
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Roach412 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:36 pm

are you sure you didn't bump any wiring? make sure you've checked everything 2 or 3 times over.

do you still have the old card? try putting that back in and see if your sound comes back.

what are the other components to the system?

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:54 pm

Speaker connection jacks should match the color of the port. Most sound setups have provision for two pairs of speakers plus a line-in and mike.
Most likely, the audio output may have been changed to digital instead of analog, if you are using analog speakers. They will not work with a digital signal. Go to the main control panel for the sound card, check that the sound output is analog. You can also double-click the speaker icon in the SysTray box to bring up the master audio controls. Click on the "advanced" button, and likely there is a tic box for 'digital output' to the speakers.
In rare cases, the video card and sound card may share an IRQ and conflict with performance. But checking the Device Manager list from the System/Hardware icon should disclose if there are any conflicts with devices. The BIOS should automatically sort out any conflicts before Windows starts and "does its thing" with device assignments.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rouge00 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:10 pm

so my speaker connection jacks match because i never removed them at all. i kept them inserted while installing my new video card.

i do believe the problem is that the audio switched over to digital instead of analog.

i have tried to go to my creative audio control panel but according to windows " the audio device supported by this application is not detected. The application will exit."

i even tried to re install the creative drivers to no avail.

when i leave my cursor over the speaker icon in the taskbar on the bottom right of the screen it says "Digital Output Device (SPDIF): 100%.

when i clicked on the speaker icon in the taskbar on the bottom right it would bring up the volume bar along with the word "Mixer" below it. there was no advanced button to select.

i am unable to switch to analog output.

no conflicts in the irq as the device manager shows no yellow exclamation marks.

i do see a jack for the SPDIF output on my motherboard but have no cable for it. I have a really nice logitech 4.1 speaker set that I enjoy using.

Do i need to buy some cable to attach my analog wires to the SPDIF jack in my motherboard? Because then i will have no cable for my mic.

thanx for the help thus far.
rouge00
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:32 pm

You have to double-click rapidly on the speaker icon. Then the full control panel will come up.
Odd that the Creative master panel link does not respond. Is the 'all programs' feature active?
SPDIF is purely digital in nature, and needs a converter module to switch to or from analog. As you note.. "Digital Output Device (SPDIF): 100%.. shows that the audio output has changed. If this is a Creative branded device, then there should be a quick-launch bar at the very top of the screen.. with all feature links. Usually comes down when the pointer is at the top of the screen, or when you click at the very top.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS