Dell Motherboard ID Needed (Updated)

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby ssheperd » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:22 pm

I found the exact part number Dell WG855/0WG855 Also, I can use a standard ATX power supply so that's good news.

According to Dell: XPS410/9200 systems do not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can use most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin, main motherboard power connector.

I guess I'll have to give up on finding a pin assignment chart; I'm bummed!
ssheperd
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:51 am

is there any other number on the sticker with the AA-D37032 ? I suspect it has a barcode and a long string of letters/numbers, the 3rd and 4th position may give a clue to what board we're dealing with.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ssheperd » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:34 am

Will go back and check and write down any numbers I see.
ssheperd
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby ssheperd » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:57 am

Here is the information. Next to the PCI-E slot there are 2 stickers:

1st sticker: DS/N CN-0CT017-70829-746-00DU: C/O CN
2nd Sticker AA D37032-306
ssheperd
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:26 am

:(
Dell decided to no longer put the official Intel serial number on the board then, so can no longer estimate what board it might be...

What layout does the front panel connector have? 2 rows of 5 pins with one missing?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ssheperd » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:21 am

You are correct. The front panel does have 2 rows of 5 pins with one missing.
ssheperd
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby ssheperd » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:25 am

I was hoping to find a clue by revieiwng this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2081/2
ssheperd
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:43 am

Is that board similar to the one in this link?
Dell, like other market brands, can buy in quantities of 100,000 or more. So parent manufacturers of equipment will gladly make production runs of specific items. But with motherboard chipset designs, there are not many varieties.
The only way to get that hidden inside data from a motherboard otherwise than from obvious brand names and model numbers is with a diagnostics program.. such as Aida64 or Belarc Advisor.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ssheperd » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:28 am

The board in the link you provided is the exact board. The PSU isn't connected to the Board and because I have no pin assignmnets, I'm worried about the installation. So unfortunately I am unable to use diagnostic tools.
ssheperd
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Did find this additional link which may be helpful.
Dell is proprietary about its systems, more than just parts. Wiring for the main power plug has gone to a standard format, from their older theme. They prefer that systems come to service centers for repairs, rather than the owner attempt any work on them. So detailed info on systems is normally left out. The front-panel wiring may be of a ribbon type or several thin wires. If it is a ribbon, then there would be no problem as to proper connection. Look at the bottom (hole side) of the plug, it should have one plugged hole to match the pin set. If individual wires, hopefully a color scheme representing the function is followed. That would be a red wire for the hard drive activity, a green wire (possibly with yellow wire) for the power LED. There may be a common color with those wires, such as white. The power switch would probably be gray, brown or blue wires. If there is a reset switch, its wires may be the same color also. The two main power connections on that board are keyed so they go together only one way. Note on the side of the socket, a protrusion or key.. to match with the clip on the plug. Ensure that the heat sink (and fan if provided) are mounted properly to the CPU or it may be damaged within only a few seconds of power.
Will have to search some more for a front panel wiring color scheme.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum