Mobo NIC suddenly fails to see network

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Mobo NIC suddenly fails to see network

Postby jsteidl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:32 pm

I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R mobo with Realtek gigabit NIC on a Win7 64-bit system. This setup has been working great for my son for quite some time--until today. Windows suddenly refuses to see my network. When I troubleshoot, Windows says the adapter may have a driver problem. However Device Manager says the NIC is working properly. I've also installed the latest driver with no improvement and have verified the problem is not with my network or any external connection.

Seems like either the NIC is bad and Device Manager just can't tell, or there is a problem with the ethernet connector on the mobo.

I also tried two different wireless G adapters (MSI and Linksys) that I had lying around--both of which are pre- Win7 vintage. They both installed ok and actually recognized the network--even connected to it wirelessly, but gave "limited connectivity" errors despite reporting excellent signal strength. Not sure if this is a Win7 compatibility issue or something else.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We just want to get one of the two connections working!

Thanks and happy holidays.
jsteidl
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby jsteidl » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:23 am

Sorted this out myself by doing what I should have done to begin with...pulling up the details after Windows ran its diagnostic on the adapter. The additional hidden info was "couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter". Googling that led to an identical set of problems caused by Kaspersky AV. I have Zone Alarm on this machine, and uninstalling it fixed the problem. Looks like the whole thing was caused by a hiccup the last time we updated ZA. Hard to believe an AV would cause a problem like that, but that was it.

Perhaps this info will help someone else...
jsteidl
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:52 am

Thank you sir. Sometimes the obvious solution is confusingly simple... :)
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking