Crossfire on uncertified motherboard?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Crossfire on uncertified motherboard?

Postby Flaffen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:51 pm

Is it possible to run Crossfire of two or more Radeon cards on motherboards that are not certified?

I have been reading a lot on this, but I find nowhere where it says you need a crossfire ready/certified motherboard to run crossfire. Nvidia explicitly says you need a sli certified motherboard.

Quote: "Enabling game-dominating power, ATI CrossFireX technology enables two or more discrete graphics processors to work together to improve system performance. For The Ultimate Visual Experience™, be sure to select ATI CrossFireX ready motherboards for AMD and Intel® processors and multiple ATI Radeon™ HD graphics cards."

That kinda tells me that the only required thing is the two cards, but it increases the performance with the motherboard.

I have not found a single place that says you NEED a crossfire certified board. The reason I ask is that i'm wondering if it is possible to run two Radeon cards in Crossfire on a server motherboard. (these dont have the same chipsets as the the usual desktop motherboards as I have understood).

Can anyone shed some light on this? Would appreciate it.
Flaffen
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to General