Accounting should be a required course...........

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Accounting should be a required course...........

Postby CivilDissent » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:59 pm

I believe that "accounting" should be a required course in public schools.

I am not talking about personal accounting, but, instead how it affects government.

It is my personal belief that the vast majority of people do not really understand the affects of debt on the dollar, etc. Too many people do not understand the see-saw effect of how printing more money inversely affects the dollar. I think if more people could grasp that concept that it would change many peoples opinions on government and how it is run.

Well, but then again, if it were a required course some would not even pay attention just as many do not pay attention to their history courses (beyond around 1960).

Oh well, it is so frustrating.
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Roach412 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:48 am

as part of my requirements for graduating high school we were required to take both government and economics courses - looking at both macro and micro economics (as well as personal finances obviously).

it made no difference really - many of my friends (both far left and far right leaning) still didn't/don't care. they just want their "side" to win, no matter what an actual solution entails.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby AmEv » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:04 am

Yes.

We've become a society of "I'm better than you" instead of the dream society of "we're working towards a common goal."
(no, common goal of "self-better-ness" doesn't count.)

Believe me, I've read enough history to see a pattern.

Society becomes healthy and wealthy.
Children take things for granted.
War and greed, secret societies spring.
Mass mayhem.
Children's children realize that this is bad, (attempt to) repair society.
Repeat, again and again.
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:24 pm

The current economic "pit" the world is in is mainly due to the financiers giving out credit to those who were marginal in references, just to have the trade. Then they sell off those accounts to other financiers, and have no more responsibility for that transaction. Then too, stock traders in the commodity futures market did "pocket" trading of virtual stocks, driving up the prices to where they were not attractive.. and were left holding over-valued stock.
When many companies began to note the looming downturn in profits, workers were laid off.. causing default on loans. This escalated into the quandary we now endure.
Too many corporate financial officers were given bonuses for increasing sales profits that eventually failed to truly profit the companies.
The "Washington bail-out" that was supposed to help the common people was misused seriously, with stipends given to those who acted irresponsibly and caused the situation to escalate. Bailout Ballyhoo
Yes, it should be a requirement of all executives in business to learn the economics of "over-buy" or "over-sell" and be wary of those early warnings that precede the storm.
Now, if it can be proven that those people knew of the consequences from their actions, yet condoned them, they should forfeit their bonuses, title and position! They HAD to have had extensive schooling in economics to get their positions.. and then went their own path of greed.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby CivilDissent » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:18 am

You all make excellent points and I totally agree but I guess what I was getting at is the point that so many of us "average" people cannot seem to grasp the seesaw effect of debt vs. value.

It affects alot of people on a personal level, and they seem to understand that, but they do not seem to grasp the idea that it affects government in a similar way. Many people seem to have the idea that government, the US especially, can just keep rolling dollars off of the printing press until time stands still and it will have no ill effect on their own personal well being. People need to get a grasp on what that does to them on a personal level.

It does affect us..........on a personal level.

House values plummett, 401k's crash, dollars no longer equal 100 pennies, prices go up on everyday things and on and on and on.

I am not siding on any political side I just wish that people would realize that the more our government plays with their money, and yes it is theirs (the peoples), the less their personal value becomes.....and it is all sides of the government that does this, not just one political aspect or side.

And Roach, yours is the saddest of all, to me. It is true most do not care what it entails, as long as their side wins.

Our government, all of them, needs to be bent over our knee and get a good spanking......all of them.
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to The Hundred Year War