Best Desktop Wireless card

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Best Desktop Wireless card

Postby Macs » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:16 pm

I have got my computer built except for my wireless card. I am using a old belkin N USB card and would like to install an onboard desktop card. I am not quite sure what to look for. I know my best bet is to hardwire to my network, but that isnt feasible. What should i look for in a wireless card? I am using Uverse and would like the fastest internet speeds possible. Any advice or recomendations is appreciated.
Macs
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby pbailey » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Netgear and linksys wireless N would be your best bet. Find a PCI slot free and plug and play with the driver CD that comes with it.
The day you stop learning, is the day you die!

Paul
pbailey
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:57 am

The worst I have come across have been Belkin and Netgear - Dlink and Linksys are not far behind... 1 reason, complicated and unnecessary drivers for install, esp with the uninitiated computer person... On a point 1b, all their websites suck at getting a decent driver without going through a complicated rigmarole.. (on a side note Belkin generally use Broadcomm 43XX chips on their wifi cards which are not too difficult to find)....

Rant off (and apologies)....

I use Edimax and I'll use them all the time if I can... Why? Simple, simple driver install, the distance covered by my Edimax cards is about a 3rd further than any of the above named brand - signal strength is a lot greater.. Plus, the Edimax support is great...

So, I would get a nbased Edimax card with 3 arials like this one, which at $35 is a bargain... Ensure you put it in a PCI slot furthest from the CPU (always read instructions, generally you install driver first and card second)... Install the driver only, use windows wireless config, it saves an enormous amount of messing about.. And make sure your router supports n too....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Roach412 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:08 pm

i have a D-Link N PCI card which i've never had problems with. good range, excellent throughput.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset